9: Nicolas Flamel

The holidays passed quickly and I was excited to see Nico again. We had kept in touch by sending letters to each other with our owls. It seemed he had a great holiday but we were both equally excited to return to Hogwarts.

When we were boarding the Hogwarts Express, Malfoy passed us and glared at me. When we got on the train, me and Nico had a laughing fit. His nose was still bruised and he looked so funny. Nico thanked me for standing up for him, but I told him not to worry. That was what friends do, right?

When we got back to Hogwarts, Ron caught up with me and asked me if I knew what happened to Malfoy's nose.

In response, I laughed and told him, Hermione and Harry and they laughed as well. That was the moment me and Nico became friends with them and Nico seemed especially ecstatic. He had never really gotten over his fascination with Potter.

Harry then asked us if we had ever heard of Nicolas Flamel and I said I had heard the name somewhere. I asked him why and he said it might help them with what the three-headed dog was guarding. They had apparently come across it as well and were also under the impression Snape meant harm. Nico and I asked if we could help them and they agreed. 

We were all searching the library during our free time. I found a couple of books that mentioned him but they didn't say who he actually was. I would have thought it would have made sense to explain who someone you wrote about was, but apparently not.

About a week later, Hermione came rushing into the common room saying, 'How could I be so stupid?'

'What are you talking about?' asked Ron, wiping chocolate off of his mouth. He had just been trying to beat his record for how quick he could eat a bar of it.

'I took this out months ago for some light reading,' she said putting a massive book on the table. I raised my eyebrows but resisted the urge to make a comment, 'And it says that Nicolas Flamel is the only person known to possess a Philosopher's Stone!'

Harry, Nico and Ron looked puzzled.

'The Stone makes the Elixir of Life,' I quickly explained, my eyes widening.

'That must be what the dog is guarding!' said Hermione, 'That's what Snape wants so badly!'

'I heard Snape talking to Quirrell. There's more than the dog guarding it!' said Harry, 'And Quirrell won't tell Snape how to get past the dog or his defence!'

'So we're safe as long as Quirrell doesn't tell Snape!' said Nico.

'It'll be gone by next Monday!' said Ron, sighing. 

He was right, Quirrell was hardly going to stand up to Snape for much longer. He could barely stand up to a first year class when they started getting too rowdy. Maybe the other enchantments would be harder, but I couldn't imagine Snape would find them too much trouble. He was too smart for that.

We didn't get much time to worry about it. It was announced that exams were going to take place in a couple of weeks and, for the first time and much to the relief of the teachers, me and Nico didn't make any mischief and got on with studying.

We both wanted to be Aurors and we had to get really good marks throughout all of Hogwarts for that. We studied and paid attention in class and when the exams came, we both passed with flying colours.

After the exams, Harry, Ron and Hermione told us that Hagrid had been keeping a dragon in his hut. He was called Norbert and they helped him escape in the dead of night to Romania before he was caught and most likely killed. They also said that a hooded stranger had given the egg to Hagrid. The stranger was apparently interested in the dog and Hagrid told him how to get past it! He must have had a bit too much to drink that night.

We knew it would have been Snape and Harry had the feeling Quirrell had already given in.

We all ran to warn Dumbledore, only to find out he had left for an important meeting. We were all convinced that Snape was going to steal the stone that night and we decided we would meet him there. Harry had found out how to stop the dog so we just had to pass all the other enchantments. We didn't stop to consider that five first year students could hardly stand against Professor Snape, we were too busy thinking about how Snape was doing something bad and we had to stop him. Such a mistake was sure to get us killed, but it never crossed our minds. We were too busy being Gryffindors to think about the implications of our actions.