Joining The Dots

CHAPTER 14

I'd come for you

No one but you

Yes I'd come for you

But only if you told me to

I'd fight for you

I'd lie it's true

Give my life for you

You know I'll always come for you

I was in Melbourne after a long flight journey. It was good we had all those airplane miles piled up. Travelling became much cheaper for me. I called Natalie as the impatience was kicking in, I needed to know what was happening.

“Hey Nicky. The police just left. You wouldn’t believe me if I said that they found nothing. All the blood, was nowhere to be found. The case has been dismissed Nicks and Frank has been warned about his drinking and hoax complaints mentioning extreme circumstances. They came to the conclusion that Frank had hallucinated due to excessive alcohol intake.”

I understood Natalie’s plight. She had her boyfriend on one side and her best friend on the other. And currently, both sides were equally messed up.

I hung up and shut my eyes tightly. I was getting angry. Angry because there was so much happening and there wasn’t a thing I could do about it. If this was a kidnapping and if I were to get hold of that bastard, I swear to god I will skin him alive.

I put my head into my palms and groaned. The cab driver looked back and raised his eye brows but I just gave him a tight smile to let him know I was ok. The ride wasn’t ending! I was still a long way from home. I kept urging the driver to drive faster and at one point he raised his voice a little to say that he was going the fastest he could.

I clenched my teeth and my fists caught on to a bunch of my hair and I was that close to ripping it all out.

After a painful 3 hrs journey, I finally reached my neighbourhood. Everyone was at Frank’s house right now and that was better because for some reason, I no longer wanted to go into my house alone.

I paid the cabby and dashed for the door to Frank’s house. What is happening? Why is my life turning into such a death trap? As I knocked on the door, Rave came and opened it. I broke down right there at the door step. Whatever resolve I was trying to build, was shattered before it was even born.

Rave held me in an embrace without saying a word. She gently rubbed my back in a soothing manner in hopes of calming me down. As soon as I came in Frank shot out of his seat but didn’t come forward. He had guilt written on over his face. No, no he couldn’t have done it. I know him enough.

Natalie looked at me sympathetically from where she was sitting on the floor in the corner of the room. The vibrant look she always has was long gone. She was pale and tear marks were clear on her face.

I took a deep breath in and sat down on the floor next to her. Rave was in the kitchen preparing a cup of coffee for me, while Ashton was on the phone with someone and for once, even he was dead serious when he spoke.

I looked at Frank and said, “Tell me everything. From the beginning.”

Frank nodded and sat himself on the couch in front of us.

“On Friday night, we were over at Jake’s hanging out. Jones, Neil, Jake and I. The four of us played a couple of games and as it was starting to get late, we decided to bunk Saturday as we usually do and once that was done, Jones offered to get a bottle of vodka he had brought in his car.