Before We Say Goodbye

You are sitting on your bed as Ross gently knocks on your door. You quickly hide the paper in your hand under your pillow. "Come in," you say, your voice almost a whisper. The door opens slowly and you look up to see him walking into the room, giving you a weak smile.

"Hey beautiful," he says. You can almost hear him choking back a sob, and already you feel your eyes filling up with tears as you stand up, pulling him onto a tight hug. He couldn't be with you today because he and the band needed to get all packed up. The two of you rock back and forth and you can feel him shaking. You knew he was holding back. 

Still tight in his arms, you ask, "How was your day? Get everything packed?" This is the first time you've seen him all day and you don't want to let go.

Ross nods, along with a sigh. "Yup, we're all set to go." 

You lower your eyes, feeling your heart starting to ache. You only had a few more hours. Why did time go by so fast? "I bet you guys are excited." You say, trying to make a positive out of the situation. "The rest of the guys, and Rydel, always love being on the road, huh?"

Ross smiles weakly, trying to play along. "Yeah, traveling is going to be cool." He says with no emotion.

You try to think of something else positive to say, but your mind keeps going back to your previous thought. How did time go by so quickly? 

It was quiet for a while and you decided it was no use to try and lighten the mood. You brought your hands up and ran his shirt sleeves through your fingertips. "Remember when I moved here, freshman year?" you ask.

Ross nods, bringing his forehead to yours. "Yup, and I couldn't take my eyes off of you." You felt yourself blushing slightly as you smiled at the memory of when Ross first came up to you, asking if he could help you find your classes. You knew he was something special the minute you saw him. Almost as if it was love at first sight.

"Now we're graduated, and you're going on a world tour," you breathe out, still in awe of what this boy in front of you has accomplished in such a short amount of time. You are so proud of him and you hope he knows that.

He smiles, shrugging. "I didn't realize the band would actually become something," he states, seeming to be in awe of his own self. You know he is happy about his accomplishments, and about his future, but you can see a wall in his eyes, something is keeping that happiness from being set free.

And that something is you.

You sigh. "It's been so amazing to be with you along the way," you say, "and I can't wait to hear about all the great things that happen to you in the future." You look into his eyes. "You have to promise me something, Ross."

He was staring intensely back at you, waiting for your next words. "Promise me that you will be happy," you say. "Do it for the band, do it for your fans, do it for your career. I can't be the reason for this being your first and last world tour." 

You hope he understands what you mean. What you were trying to hint at. You just want him to move on, because that's all that can be done at this point.

Ross swallows painfully and nods, his eyes finding the floor. You reach your finger under his chin and left it so he looks at you again. Your eyes are full of seriousness. "Promise me," you say, unfaltering.

Ross nods, yet sighs. "I will be happy. But it will just be pretend," he says. 

Your mouth forms a straight line, but you nod reluctantly. "I guess if that's the best you can do."

It is quiet for a few moments and you suddenly felt the heaviness in the air. There is a weight that needs to be lifted off your shoulders and it needs to be taken care of soon. Yet as much as it needs to be done, you don't know how to bring it up. So you don't. Instead you ask a silly question. "So where are you most excited to go?"