Chapter 14

66 – Bruno

"Yes, my loyal friend," I said, comforting Bong Gu, who was panting and could barely keep up with me anymore. She had changed modes from 'exploring the area' into 'auto-pilot' a few hours ago and was now walking instinctively, not even enjoying it anymore.

"We've made it. We have once again safely returned to the city."

She looked at me exhausted, but at least she couldn't complain that I didn't take her for walks.

Drained out, shoes full of mud, and cramps all over, we still had about one more hour to go before we made it home from the base of the mountain. Yes, we could have taken a taxi, that would have cost like one dollar and we could have been home in five minutes, but it wasn't that simple. Taxis here were usually not worth the hassle, as most taxi drivers didn't allow dogs into their cars. Also, one hundred percent of drivers in China smoke while they drive, and they got mad if I asked them to put it out. Smoking is a much bigger deal in China than it is anywhere else in the world, so I would usually tolerate it, just not today. I was too tired and out of breath to add the cigarette smoke.

The only good thing about people smoking in China is that it makes me feel as if I'm trapped inside one of Mr. Murakami's novels, where many characters including kids smoked as if it were the most normal thing to do. Mr. Murakami wrote once that he used to smoke two packs a day while working on his first novel, so it's only natural that his characters would smoke as well.

I have read everything he's ever published, and couldn't help but absorb many of his character's traits into my personality. Living an isolated life, walking aimlessly in the city, questioning reality and having a glass of Cutty Sark while listening to classical music and enjoying a good book in the evening. This all became second nature to me, as it was for a good number of characters in his books.

Writers are like that, they consume themselves, smoking, drinking or doing whatever it is they need to do to get through the day and finish telling their story. In a way, a writer sacrifices himself for his readers, giving away their time, health and sanity to create something others can enjoy. Or maybe, they are selfish people with an oversized ego who write as a way to manipulate and influence people's thoughts and behavior, in their own personal quest for world domination.

The streets were crowded with people, as they always were and everyone was looking at me, as they always did, but I didn't really mind, I knew what I was signing up for when I accepted a teaching job knowing I would be the only foreigner in the city. It made things easier for me. As there was no one to hang out with anyway, I didn't need to feel guilty about staying at home reading or watching something. Sure, I could also make Chinese friends and have some awkward get-togethers at super smoky places, where we would try to communicate with our limited understanding of each other's languages, but I did that for a while and it got old too quickly. Now I decided to enjoy my time alone with Bong Gu.

No one but she understood me and no one but her knew everything we'd been through. She's been by my side when I cry my heart out and when I have the time of my life. She has followed me unconditionally through heaven and hell and stayed by my side when I needed her most. She goes to work with me, and comes to run errands and on holidays. I couldn't imagine life without her and I'm fairly sure she feels the same way.

I really wish Terra was here, holding my hand and walking by my side, but she's not coming back and there's nothing I can do about it. Also, being single isn't actually that terrible, I was able to do whatever I wanted to every single day. It was pretty awful for the first few months but we're OK now, sort of.

Keeping a steady pace, on the way back home, I realized I hadn't eaten in a long while so I decided to stop by a local noodle shop. On the wall, there was a sign that read 'No Dogs Allowed' in Chinese. I was glad Bong Gu can't read it, otherwise, she would feel extremely sad.