2.

"Callum Westcott, pleased to meet you."
     The boy was tall, and freckles were dusted across the bridge of his nose against the light olive of his skin. And his hair reminded Alexandra of the golden wheat fields of her homeland. But what was most striking was the peculiar shade of his eyes; pale blue eyes that appeared almost frozen. He had a nonchalant disposition about him, and Alexandra couldn't decide if she admired his composure or not.
     "Nicola Phillips. We're so happy to have you here. And this is our resident stablehand Alexandra. She'll be showing you around as I have a few other matters to attend to." She said, gesturing to her.
     Alexandra held her hand out, and the boys eyes slid to hers. "Pleased to meet you." She said, taking extra measure to make sure her grip was firmer than his.
     He nodded in reply, and Nicola said her goodbyes and then they were alone.
     "So. Where's your horse?" Alexandra asked, turning to him.
     Callum jerked his head towards a horse van behind him and Alexandra pursed her lips, nodding slightly.
     "You live here?" he asked, cocking his head as if studying her.
     Alexandra nodded and jerked her head in the general vicinity of where the cottage was at the back of the property.
     "Not with your parents?" he questioned.
     Alexandra leveled him with a look that didn't hide her irritation. "It's complicated." She bit back, not bothering to check her tone. "If you don't mind me asking, why would someone like you keep a horse somewhere like here? You must have your own private stable. Can't you just keep your horse there?"
     Callum shrugged tightly, his posture tense. "It's complicated." He replied.
     Alexandra nodded briskly. "Right, well if you want to unload your horse we can get him settled and I can give you the tour, answer any questions, all of that." She said, trying to keep her tone in check. Every minute she wasted talking to him, could be a minute working with Scipio, and frankly, she wasn't in the mood to deal with hormonal teenage boys who had secrets.
     Callum said nothing as he unlatched the van door and entered. Alexandra heard the sound of clattering hooves and Callum's faint voice underlining it before a massive skewbald horse skittered out. Callum followed closely, murmuring small comforts as the horse raised his head, wide eyed and snorting loudly.
     The horse was well built, with a broad chest and nice shoulder. His long legs easily put him at 17 hands. Alexandra could immediately see that he needed to put on some weight and muscle, and he was very, very green. She figured he was some type of Irish draught cross.
     Alexandra approached slowly to reach her hand out. The horse eyed her cautiously before huffing in her palm. After becoming acquainted Alexandra moved to stroke his face, focusing on keeping her movements subtle.
     "I call him Jigsaw." Callum said quietly.
     Alexandra looked up to meet his gaze. "Nice name." She replied, before turning to lead him to the stall available. As they passed the arena and a few other horses, Jigsaw remained a bit flighty, but when they put him in his stall he seemed settled enough. Alexandra then gave Callum the tour of the stables, showing him where the cross ties were, the feed room, the arenas and different pastures without more than a few words passing between them.
     It was eventually Callum who broke the silence. "You're not from around here, are you?" He asked, angling his head to look at her.
     They were on their way back to the main stable after Alexandra showed him around the outer pastures surrounding the property. She didn't turn her head to face him, instead choosing to keep walking. "Nope." She replied curtly.
   "So where are you from then?" He questions further.
   "Not here." Was all she said before stopping short. "Nicola will be in her office shortly if you need to discuss any further details with her." Alexandra pointed a finger towards the main stable before turning on her heel and walking away.

* * * *

     Scipio danced at the end of the lead rope. He was a cyclone of ink and gold and clattering hooves. If he was a storm come by sea, then Alexandra was his anchor. She was always there to pull him back from his fury. She walked on quietly, letting him throw his tantrum. By now, the two of them had garnered some attention and Scipio knew it, only causing him to get wound up further. By the time they arrived at the round arena, Scipio was tighter than a coiled spring.
     Alexandra slipped off the halter in one smooth movement, and Scipio whirled away, cavorting around the arena wildly. She picked up a lead rope, spinning it in her hands as Scipio went around and around and around. Scipio did as she asked, his ears pricked and eager, but there was still a wild look in his eyes. She put down the lead, and Scipio slowed to a walk, snorting slightly as he came to the center of the arena. Alexandra smiled softly, cupping his head to kiss the velvet of his nose. She gripped a handful of mane and in one fluid motion swung up onto his back. She pressed her legs gently into his sides, sending him forward into liquid canter.
     They cantered around the arena, with numerous direction changes before Alexandra felt the shift. Scipio sunk into the work, ears pricked and relaxed. Alexandra had achieved in making him more malleable; something that she could work with, but she didn't make the mistake of assuming he wasn't just as volatile. She sat back, asking for a halt. Scipio did, performing a clean stop and Alexandra leaned forward to give him praise. She then nudged him with her knee, and he cantered sideways and she took the pressure off, using her other leg to guide him into a neat spin before sending him forward in an extended canter. Alexandra sat deep again, slowing him and collecting him beneath her before asking for halt. Again she leaned forward to pat him on the neck before sending him forward in an easy walk, guiding him next to the gate and exiting the arena with ease.
     Alexandra looked up then, faintly aware of the attention on her and Scipio, only to meet Callum's gaze from where he stood across the yard. She held it for a split second, and Scipio danced beneath her before she broke it, returning her attention to her horse, laying a palm against his neck and soothing him softly. Alexandra didn't look back as she and Scipio walked home.