[Drabble] Answering Machine - Completed

She had the whole conversation planned out in her head. She was going to tell him she couldn’t go on like this. She was leaving. She needed more from him, but he wasn’t willing to give her anything. Then maybe he’d argue with her. Maybe he’d tell her he loved her and he’d stop her.

Yet, when the time came to tell him everything she had been holding in, all she was able to say was that she needed to go. He didn’t say anything. His face showed no emotion. Maybe a part of her knew this was how it would be. He had never cried even at their worst, most heartbreaking fights. She just hoped… She hoped he would try to make her stay – but he didn’t. So she packed up her things and left.

He watched her leave, not a single tear spilled from his eyes. He imagined she’d go to Carmen, that small town she frequently talked about. She had always said she wanted to go there.

It took her two years to pick up the phone and call. She wasn’t sure what she was going to say, or if he’d want to talk to her in the first place. Maybe he’d hang up upon realizing it was her. He probably wouldn't want to talk to her.

The phone rang four times before the answering machine picked up; and, this was what she heard, “If it’s Tuesday night, I’m likely at the gym, unless I’m exhausted from work, then I’m fast asleep in my bed. If it’s Wednesday night, I’m at the Children’s Shelter. It’s volunteer night and I'll be home late. If you’re a telemarketer, you can hang up now. It doesn’t matter what you’re selling, I’m not interested. If this is anyone else, leave a message. I’ll call you back when I get the chance… and PS, if this is Carmen… I still love you.”

The phone dropped from her hand in shock and disbelief. How could this be? Two years was a long time to be waiting. Two years without contact was a long time to still be in love. Still, there he was... What kind of love could make someone hold on that long?

She waited three more days before calling again. The phone rang four times, and the answering machine picked up. “If it’s Friday night, I’m at a ball game with some friends. After that, I’m going straight to my parents’ house. I’ll be there all weekend long. If you leave a message, I’ll call you back when I get home on Sunday evening… and PS, if this is Carmen, I still love you.”

This time, she took a deep breath and left her number but didn’t say anything else. Then, on Sunday night, she waited by the phone to see if he would call.

He returned home late Sunday evening, and, as his habit had been for the past two years, he went straight to the answering machine. He listened to the messages as he put away his stuff – and paused upon hearing the short message with nothing but a phone number. His mind went numb. It sounded like her, but could he be wrong? It had been so long since he heard her voice… But what if he was right?

He dialed the number, unsure of what to expect. The phone rang three times, and then this was what he heard, “If you’re calling about my heart, it’s always been yours. I never should have left two years ago. If you forgive me now, I swear I’ll be home by tomorrow afternoon and I'll never be leaving again… By the way, this is not a machine you’re talking to. If you haven’t figured it out yet, this is Carmen… and I still love you.”

For the first time in years, he finally broke down and cried.

__________________________________

The End.