New Home

Melaya Curtis Above

"Are you sure you want to do this?" My mom asks. I turn to her. "I think it's a little too late to change my mind now, mom."

"Well I mean, it won't matter. I'm sure Darrel and I could make so space for you if you want to stay

"Nah, I'm good. I haven't seen Daddy and the boys since Christmas of last year."

"But you're going to be the only girl. And the boys can be really wild sometimes. And Fineas works with that Animal Planet show so you're going to be around a bunch of wild animals and — and I'm not sure if it's going to be safe for you down there."

"Mom, the second that I don't feel comfortable down there and I want to leave. I'll call you, okay?" I reassure her. She nods. I check my phone. "My flight leaves in twenty minutes and you and Darrel have to catch yours. I'll see you later, mom." I give her a hug. We pull away.

"Call me whenever you can. I want to know your whole experience. Keep a diary or something."

"No thank you." I say giving her a small salute as I walk towards the exit gate that was going to lead me to my plane.

I watch in slight sorrow as my mom walks away with her new husband Darrel.

They had just had their wedding about two months ago. I was a bridesmaid there and all I could think about the whole time was how that man that she was apparently in love with; was supposed to be dad. Call me selfish if you want to for not wanting my mom to be happy with another man; but last year when we spent Christmas with them it felt so right. Like we were the perfect family. And hanging out with my brothers was the most fun I had ever had in my life.

And if it wasn't for that. I wouldn't be boarding this plane right now. I had in a way craved the company of my brothers. They were so fun and always in a good mood. And I felt like I needed that right now.

I'm not about to go into details and be one of those depressing people that yell my life story about how I didn't have many friends in my school and most people didn't enjoy my presence. I was actually a star athlete at my school. I had plenty of friends but no best friends.

Here in Port Angeles Washington, I was the well known step-daughter of star soccer player Darrel Woodson. So for some reason I was expected to play a bunch of sports.

That's the thing that bugged me about the people in Port Angeles. They expected me to be a star athlete in everything because my step dad was one. There's where you're wrong. He's my step dad. STEP! He didn't marry my mom at first, nut in her and then have me. Fineas Curtis did. So I don't know who these people want me to be.

And to get away from all of that, I was sitting in my seat beside this random boy and his momma heading to my family.

"Hey, sweetie." This lady shakes me awake. I pop up real fast and get ready to punch her. Her son quickly grab my hands. I come into realization. "Oh, I'm so sorry, ma'am." I say. She nods laughing a little. "It's okay; really. Come on Lucas." She says to the boy. He nods to me and walks away. I mean, he was cute and all but he looked like he was depressed on the low. But I'm honestly just judging a book by his cover. I need to stop.

I exit the plane and grab my things. I look around. Nobody was even here to get me. Maybe they forgot. I get ready to call Daddy when I was yanked by a pair of arms and spun in a bunch of circles.

"Pass!" I hear another voice yell. I was thrown into another pair of arms and spun around. I start to laugh. "Pass!" The other voice called out. I was thrown once more and spun around.

"Okay okay." I laugh. I was placed on the ground. I stumble a bit from the dizziness. All three of my brothers engulf me in a big hug. I take it all in as the warm feeling returns to my body once more. I finally felt like my world was complete again.

"Dad is at home. He's helping feed the animals." Cameron : my oldest brother explained. He was nineteen I'm pretty sure.

"That's fine."

"Isn't he going on that trip to Australia in like a week or something?" Cassius : the second oldest asks Cameron who nods in reply. "Yeah. But we have to stay back this time since Laya came."

"Oh sorry." I say looking down. Chance, the youngest out of the boys slings an arm around my shoulder. "It's all good B."

We step outside and there was a black Jeep Wrangler.

"This you guys car?" I ask pointing to it. Cameron takes out his keys. "This is my car. Her name is Gabby." He kisses the hood making me cringe.

"Get used to it. He doesn't have a girlfriend right now." Cassius pats my shoulder lightly but somehow I felt like he was attempting murder on me because my whole body hit the car.

"Damn nigga." I grip my side. Cameron quickly turns around. "Nigga it's been less than five minutes with her and you already hurting the baby." He says.

"I ain't no baby. I'm almost fourteen years old."

"I'm almost fourteen years old." Cameron mocks in a baby voice. "Get yo ass in the damn car."

"I'm sorry." Cassius says. He goes into his pocket. "You want any money?" He holds up a twenty.

"No nigga I ain't broke." I mean mug him. I then snatch the dollar and hop into the backseat of the car. Chance scoots in beside me.

"You hungry Laya?" Cassius asks me.

"Mhm." I nod.

"Mhm." They mock me.

"Your voice is so cute." The three of them say.

"My voice is not cute." I growl.

"Ooh Damn. You mad bro?" Cassius asks.

"You mad bro?" I mock him. We go back and forth mocking each other making weird faces.