Nightmares

CUTE IMAGINE

« Jacob's POV »

A daisy.

And there's a flamingo. Or is it a palm tree?

That one's a puppy dog, pawing at the air.

Stars lit the sky like snowflakes, yet appeared still, like an old photograph. There were so many to gaze at, all mismatched and scattered throughout the night sky. Some connected quite easily and formed recognizable shapes, but others were trickier, like that flamingo... or was it a palm tree?

I sighed in frustration, eventually deciding on the flamingo.

Yes, that star is definitely a flamingo.

I shifted my gaze back to the sleeping girl in my arms. Y/n never failed to hold my attention. She was breathing steadily, little warm puffs of breath regularly escaping her parted lips, blowing against my cheeks. She was wrapped securely in her comforter, snuggled up against my chest. One of my arms was around her waist, whilst my spare hand gently gently massaged her scalp. Her body had relaxed comfortably into mine as she peacefully slept. That's when I had glanced out her open window and noticed the star-littered sky above.

I lay contently with my love for a few more silent moments, before she started twitching and fidgeting. I watched with worry as her little hand began gripping the blanket, little noises emitting from her mouth, her body squirming in the sheets. Her nose was scrunched and her eyebrows were furrowed, little beads of sweat trickling down her forehead.

She was having another nightmare.

Y/n had been having nightmares almost every night, sometimes more than once. It was probably because of all the stress she'd been dealing with lately. I wished I could eradicate all those things from her life. But I couldn't, and I felt so wretched because of that.

A boyfriend was supposed to protect his girl.

She wriggled in the blankets some more, a soft whimper escaping her lips. That's it, I'm done for. Once I heard that little sound, I had to wake her up immediately. There was no way I was just going to lay there while she suffered and cried out in her dreams. I was far too weak for that.

I lowered my lips down to her ear and whispered softly "Y/n... y/n, wake up. Wake up sweetheart." Eventually, after some more words and prodding, she awoke and shot straight upwards with a gasp, clearly disoriented and drained from the nightmare.

"Jacob?" she whimpered quietly, tears beginning to pool in her eyes. I pulled her closer to me and rubbed her back, doing my best to comfort her. "Shh, y/n, it was just a dream. I'm right here."

Her shoulders continued to shake with hushed sobs as she buried her flushed face into my shirt. She sometimes fretted about ruining my clothes with all her crying. I didn't care one bit. Y/n's emotional well-being was so much more important than my old thrasher shirt, very much so.

"Jacob." she said again, her voice breaking.
"I'm here baby, you're okay. Shh, it's okay." I continued to rub her back and occasionally planted tender kisses on the top of her head. A few short minutes later, she seemed to have relaxed a little. Y/n lifted her head up to meet my worried gaze and whispered to me "That was a bad one."

"I know, y/n, I know. Do you want to talk to me about it?" I asked softly. She hesitated for a moment, before taking a deep breath and telling me what her nightmare consisted of.

"A big scary man came. He found your family and killed them all. Then we came home from a date and he made me watch while he killed my own family, then he... he..." she trailed off. I hushed her and tucked her head under my neck, rocking us back and forth as best as I could whilst tangled in the blanket.

"Baby, it was just a dream. Just a dream, that's all. The big scary man is never coming, and I won't let anything happen to you, ever," she nodded, trying to stop the flow of tears, her body still pressed tightly against mine. Not that I minded of course. No, not one bit.

My hands continued their patterns along her back and she sighed in contentment, beginning to drift off again. "I love you Jacob." she whispered, meaning every word.

"I love you too, y/n baby."

—♡—

[ 797 words  ;  26th of July, 2018 ]

here's my first imagine. I know it's crappy but I've never written one before, so once again, I don't have the slightest clue what I'm doing. feel free to comment any requests you have.

20 comments and 20 votes for more <3

So much love,
Lillie x