A new beginning

I never imagined how loneliness can creep into your life until it totally consumes you. Then you wake up one day, thinking it is the life you should live and it goes on and on like the hands of time. It will imprison you in its clutches. It will grip you like a vise but you won't suffocate. You'll let it rule you until you won't recognize happiness anymore.

Then comes what they call depression. You'll sleep, eat, and do things not realizing you already have it. It changes you from the inside out little by little. Some fight to escape it. Others get too immersed, they choose a different route.

I guess I managed to fight it.

For two long years, I didn't realize I was getting pulled into a whirlpool and I almost lost it.

My idiotic self told me being alone is a choice.

Until the years passed and not a single guy caught my fancy. Well, if hot guys in paperbacks and vampire drama series count, there'd be tons. I then realized, I didn't want to be alone anymore.

I let twenty-four, unbearable months slip by.

"It's now or never", I said with conviction.

After brushing my hair to the side, I turned away from my reflection and faced the unavoidable task of packing.

I realized I had to pack half of my whole wardrobe.

"Shall I get a cab?"

I threw a glance at my youngest brother. "Please", I said while hurriedly tossing pairs of jeans into the open suitcase. He lingered for a few minutes, watching me pack with curiosity. Then he left the room without a word.

I felt the familiar tug of sadness.

It would take months before I'd see my family again. This is the first time I'd be totally away from home.

I straightened up after zipping the suitcase close. It looked bulky and heavy. I can't even begin to imagine how I can cart it together with other smaller bags. My brother walked in and stared at the bags.

"Ready?"

Renz seemed too calm that I was starting to think he didn't feel sad at all.

I lifted the handle and pulled the luggage up. I almost lost balance doing that simple task.

My brother took the handle from my hand and dragged the heavy luggage out of my room and across the living room. I followed right behind him.

Before stepping out of the house, I looked back at the home I'd be missing soon. It doesn't have tasty interior. It smells of food and every scent you can imagine a home should have. It sometimes has bugs that crawl and fly.

It is not a big, beautiful house but it is a perfect home for me.

"Give us a call anytime."

I nodded and walked towards the taxi. He put my luggage in the trunk and stood on the side of the cobbled street. As the cab started pulling away, I waved at my brother.

I didn't cry because I know I can come back whenever I want to, but I felt a certain emptiness that only my family can fill.

I sighed.

I hope I made the right decision.