Chapter 11 - no.

||Mackenzie||

December 24th, 2023, 11:50 pm

Johnny and I were just on the couch cuddling because we just reunited after five years. I honestly don't know how I survived five years without him in my life.

All of a sudden, there was another knock on the door.

"Who could it be?" I asked Johnny and the girls while my head was still snuggled into his shoulder.

"Another person at the door for Kenzie? Seriously?" Annie replied and chuckled as she got up and walked towards the door.

Seriously though, who could it even be? Like it's not like my parents could come here this year, they're so busy doing... I don't know what they're doing anymore. Well, there's no way it could be Maddie, she's been gone for so long, it's not like she would know where I lived. I know, sad, but nothing I can do about it, it was her choice, I wanted her to be here for me all those times I had to complain abo-

"Hi! Who are you?" I hear Annie ask, which snapped me out of my thoughts.

"I'm Maddie. I'm Kenzie's sister..." It's all I hear before everything fades out.

What's happening to me? What is going on? What is she doing here? Why is Maddie back now? Does she need something? Is that why she's back?

That was my last thought before everything went black.

"Kenz! Kenzie?- Is she breathing?- Is she okay?-" I hear some muffled voices say before my eyes slowly open.

"What happened?" I ask, squinting my eyes, still wondering what is going on, or at least what happened.

"You fainted, for about 3 minutes," Johnny told me, with concern laced in his voice.

"Why?" Then it hit me.

Maddie was here, she's back, she's here. In the house here. I didn't even know if she was alive. Well, she's definitely alive.

"because of me..." I heard a small voice say.

"Maddie. You're actually back. Why?" I ask in a stern yet harsh tone. I wasn't trying to be harsh, but it just came out that way.

"because, I am getting married, and I came to ask you to be my maid of honor." She says while coming out from behind the girls.

I realize I was in Johnny's arms while lying down on the couch. I sat up and she sat down on the couch on the right of me, so I sat up and looked at her, straight in the eye.

"Why me? Why did you come back now? Why did you leave? Why are you even asking me? Do mom and dad even know? Why did you drop everything to come here to New York just to ask me to be your maid of ho-" She cut me off. Maddie still doesn't have much patience when it comes to me asking questions about everything. I admit it, I ask why too much.

"You because you are my sister, you're my rock, you are the person I would go to if I was in trouble if I was in pain. I came back because I am happy now, I know myself, I found myself. I left because I was terribly depressed, I thought our parents were holding me back, I wouldn't be able to truly find myself without leaving. But leaving cost me you, I know that if I had told you, you would be crying, and I wouldn't able to leave, I know you had Johnny there, so you could take out all that anger, sadness, and frustration of me leaving out. I'm asking you because no one else would be the right person for this, you've listened to me rant about my dream wedding since I was a kid, which still hasn't changed. Mom and dad do know. They know that I found myself, and that I am getting married, that I want you to be my maid of honor, that I want to celebrate your birthday with you once more, that I just wanted to be back together with you. Sisters once more. My fiancé understood. He understood why I dropped everything, wedding planning, honeymoon planning etc. I put a pause on my wedding preparations so I could fly out to New York, and ask my little sister to be there for me, and spend your birthday with you." She tells me, and once again, I have tears on the verge of dripping down my cheeks.

Crying twice in one hour, real mature Kenzie, such a crybaby.

"You're not a crybaby Kenzie," Johnny said in a voice that was barely above a whisper, hugging me deeper.

Ah shit, I said that fucking out loud. But this was why I loved Johnny, he always knew what to say to make me feel better, what to do, he just knew. John was also doing a great job of distracting me from whatever I thoughts I was thinking about Maddie being back, and here.

"Maddie?" I say before making a decision in my head.

"Yes, Kenz?" She replies with a hopeful look. This was going to be harder than I expected.

"No," I reply sternly.

"What?" Maddie says in a stunned tone, with sadness laced in. She should've expected this answer though.

"You've been gone from my life for 11 years. 11 fucking years. So much happened within that time, and you probably don't even know what happened. You probably didn't even know that I was depressed, I had an eating disorder, I was bullied and so much more. Fucking hell, you probably don't even know how I met Kendall or Brynn, or how Annie and I became friends. So, fuck this. Screw you and "my" invitation to you, on fucking attempting on squeezing your way into my life." I rant before running up into my room and slamming the door shut.

I wasn't going to be so rude about this, but what kind of a person does that, to their fucking little sister. Maybe she'll try something else to make up 11 years to me, but I honestly don't know how that's going to go. I forgave Johnny very quickly, after five years, and after he broke my heart into billions and billions of pieces, but he's had my heart since we were little kids.

"hey Kenz" I hear Johnny, as his voice whacks the thoughts into the back of my head.

"hey, John," I tell him in a tiny voice as I was still on the verge of tears.

I swear that Johnny can read my mind. He just came over and lied down on the bed under the covers and patted the place he wanted me to go to. I crawled over and snuggled up to him under the blankets. He knew I didn't want to talk, he had to at least wait until tomorrow for me to spill it.

Talk about drama, on Christmas too! On our birthdays too!

"I'm sorry Johnny. For bringing all this sister drama to our birthdays, and Christmas." I apologize.

"Don't be Kenz, I'm never leaving you again. I promise," He says while pulling me closer to him, well, his chest.

I look over to the clock, it was 11:59 PM, Christmas Eve.

"Congrats, Johnny boi, you're officially 22," I say, looking up to his green eyes that were sparkling because of the moon that was outside my window that was right above my bed.

He waited a minute, that whole minute, he was looking at the clock. When it struck midnight. 12:00 AM, Christmas Day.

"Congrats, Kenzie boo, you're officially 22" He copies me while looking at my brown eyes.

Before I knew what I was doing, I smashed my lips onto his.

He was the best Christmas gift I could ever ask for.

I don't know what I'm going to do about Maddie yet, but she wasn't going to ruin our birthdays.

I break off the kiss.

"I love you, Johnny," I tell him, hoping he'll tell me what I want to hear.

"I love you more, Kenz. Always have, always will." He tells me before giving that billion dollar smile.

Always have, always will. 

A/N:

(1310 words)

I started writing this at 12 AM lol, it might be super shitty, but idk.

Not that much Jenzie, sorry!

Maddie's back! Kenzie rejected her request of being maid of honor.

Hope you enjoyed it!

(ALSO, OMG 300 READS, 15 VOTES. I REALLY DIDN'T EXPECT THIS STORY TO HAVE THIS MANY READS SO QUICKLY, ESPECIALLY SINCE THIS IS MY FIRST ONE. THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!)