The Voices Within Me

The flaming orb of the sun was gradually sinking below the sand coated horizon, shooting an array of purple and red to dance across the sky as it became darker. A waxed white smile of the moon took its place in the blanket of black amongst a family of millions of stars. The temperature rapidly plummeted as the remaining stray beams of light from the sun were tamed.

Two figures stepped forward.

Illuminated by the dull glowing lights of Roscoff Psychiatric Hospital, the two figures, both a little below average height and round, strode confidently towards the hospital, slipping inside of the building straight after the patrolling guards walked past.

There was no security needed inside of the building. After all, the building was placed at the edge of the desert, a mile away from the forests and plains. The doors to the rooms of the patients were locked at night. Only a lone nurse working the night shift was awake, pushing a metal cart full of medicine around the desolate wards.

The mysterious pair melted into the shadows while the nurse checked the names of patients off of the clipboard. She stood still and confused, trying to match the updated room numbers to the patients from memory. Everyone had been moved around 'to have a change in scenery' a week before and no one had decided to correct the list.

Creeping forward, the man wrapped his hands around her neck, pushing her to the floor and squeezing until she was choking and gasping for air. The woman seized the clipboard from the nurses tightening grip and scanned through it.

''What was the name of that girl? The one who Sam thinks is special? Lara, Laura, Lauren? Oh, she's here. Laurali 'Laure' Grigori, room fifteen. It's right at the end of the corridor.''

They mentally recorded the room number, never sparing a thought to consider whether or not it was correct, before stalking down the hallway, heaving the body of the dead nurse onto her medicine cart.