11

*An extract from the book of Lukas Rosser*

Two-day, 29, April

It is so late on Two-day that it could be Three-day. Since I gave Laure my book, I'm writing on whatever I can find: the backs of old documents, paper plates, the insides of my t-shirt, even on pebbles and rocks that I've found. I have to keep a record of my thoughts somehow.

First. I am led to believe that I am dying. By the time I arrived at the camp, my feet became infected and it was too agonizing to stand, even for a few seconds. I am bedridden and it feels as if the infection has began spreading across my body. At the rate it is going, it will surely kill me, either by itself or the pain will be too much for me to bear and I will do it myself. It would be cowardly to end that way.

Second. Corey Hidimin is a traitor, even after what we (Laure and I) did for him back in the abandoned schoolroom. It's not just Corey either: most of the adults at this camp are traitors, working for the Stolen. Since I am stuck in one place all day long, I can hear everyone talking outside of my tent about the demons and attacks and when they are going to step in. They know that Laure is a valuable piece in these games and are using me as bait to get her to them. They want to turn her into a slave for the demons, the Stolen children and someone called Sam who knows that Laure is special.

Third. They know that I know. The leader of the camp, the first man to speak to us when we encountered them, David, entered my tent while thinking it was empty. He realized that I had heard every word of their conversation but he doesn't care. He knows that I will probably die soon.

Fourth. I haven't died yet because of the girl. She's the girl who tried to flirt with me when we were on the horses. Her name is Imogen Nance and she brings me enough medicine to keep me alive, even though life is painful and I will die quickly if I have any less.

Five. They know exactly who I am.

I will write more soon. They also don't care about me writing and have even promised to supply me with paper. They still think that I should be dead by now.

-Lukas