Epilogue

"Dear Lucy Olivia Docherty,

Congratulations! You have been accepted for our 'Youth Exceptional Musician Scholarship'. You will move to Ashwood High beginning September 2017 and continue on your senior year there with all of the students, mixing with people from all walks of like most of which from the most affluent areas of Seattle.

This, however, means for you that you need to travel and move halfway across the world, which we understand is a huge upheaval for you. As a token of goodwill, we would like to pay for an apartment near the school and for flights to and from Glasgow and Seattle for you and your family all year.

We hope you accept this once in a lifetime opportunity and cannot wait for you to join our wonderful school.

Many thanks,

John R Hamilton, Principal of Ashwood High."

Hands shaking, my eyes scanned over my letter over and over. Tears filled my eyes as I let out a high pitched squeal, jumping on my dads back and showing him and mum my letter.

"I did it guys! I actually got in oh my god!" I scream and look up at them, expecting joyful looks. Instead, I received forlorn looks. Expressions of "We don't want you to go." "But you need to follow your dreams" flooded my ears and I just had to hug them. My parents meant the world to me, but I had to pursue my dreams, like they had always taught me.

Three weeks later, we're standing at departures with my parents and brother holding me close, tears streaming down all of our faces. As I check in my case and haul my hand-luggage case along behind me, I wave to my family and head towards the gates. Towards my new life. Towards whatever it was that fate held for me.

God, this was going to be an interesting ride.