Chapter 8: Caught

Hermione paced her room nervously. The ball was to begin in an hour, and she was extraordinarily nervous. Hermione still didn't know what she was going to do or who she was going to choose. She'd narrowed it down to a few people she sort of knew from Hogwarts, but none of them felt right to her. Her lady's maid had been dismissed for the evening, and she felt truly alone.

"Mr Horton is here for you, Lady Hermione," Caddington announced. He hadn't entered her bedroom, just tapped on the door and cracked it. He was quite uncomfortable with the fact that most of the servants had been dismissed for the evening and had fought vociferously to be allowed to serve his family.

"Mr Horton? Really? He's so early," Hermione opened the door entirely and smiled when Caddington had covered his eyes with his hand. "Really Caddington, I'm quite decent," Hermione announced.

Caddington slowly removed his hands and breathed a sigh of relief at seeing Lady Hermione dressed appropriately for the ball. "Of course, miss."

"Well, where is Mr Horton then?" Hermione asked.

"The Earl's study."

"Thank you, Caddington," Hermione smiled at him and set off for her father's study. Mr Horton was invited to the ball, of course, but Hermione couldn't imagine why he was so early. She didn't dare to hope that meant he had another betrothal contract for her.

"Ah, Hermione," Earl Granger greeted her when she'd knocked on the door of his study.

"Hello, Father. Mr Horton."

"Lady Hermione, delightful to see you as always. Are you ready for tonight's festivities?" Mr Horton asked.

Hermione smiled, "As ready as I can be."

"Well, then. I have another betrothal contract for you. It just came in, and since it fit your criteria, I had thought to bring it to you directly."

"Oh?" Hermione was a little taken aback. Her criteria were basically anyone who went to Hogwarts, and she was almost sure she'd received one from everyone who'd gone to Hogwarts with her and was eligible. Except for Lord Draco.

"Yes, Lord Draco Malfoy," Mr Horton announced and handed Hermione the contract.

Hermione did her best not to appear excited, but she couldn't hide her smile.

"I take it that is welcome news then?" Earl Granger asked.

Hermione blushed and ducked her head. "I would seriously consider a betrothal contract from Lord Malfoy," she admitted.

She unrolled the scroll and was a little dismayed to see it's condition. It was quite crumpled as if someone had tossed it aside and then later smoothed it out.

"Yes, yes, it came to me like that," Mr Horton confirmed at Hermione's questioning look.

"You can read it later, darling," Lady Granger said, sweeping into the room. "The first of the guests are arriving."

~0o0~

Hermione's feet hurt from dancing and her cheeks hurt from smiling. Somehow word of the ball got out, and there were well over three hundred people in attendance. Most of the extra's were suitors she hadn't invited for a variety of reasons. She'd just finished dancing with a Finnish wizard who was at least four or five years younger than her. He was adorably precocious, but not that great of a dancer yet. And not much taller than Hermione herself.

Most disappointing was that Lord Draco had not made an appearance. Hermione hoped that he would, but supper was to begin soon, and it was unlikely he would be coming if he wasn't there already. She had wanted a moment to discuss his contract with him. She felt wary of accepting it without speaking to him about it first.