Chapter 1

Flashbacks are in italic

John Constantine was sat on the floor in an old mill house. He had a cigarette in one hand and an almost empty bottle of whiskey in the other. The Englishman was wearing blue jeans and a white button-up shirt, his dirty blonde hair looked scruffy and unwashed in days. Taking a drag of his cigarette he threw the butt onto the pile next to him. John finished his whiskey then went to get another bottle.

As he stood up John was greeted by a familiar face "what do you want" he said in a pissed off mood. Manny looked at him " John you need to think about what your doing....your soul is damned to hell and helping us fight is the only way to change that do you not care anymore?" John turned to Manny " I've never punched an angel before but you're asking for it ..do me a favour, be a good pidgin and flap off" Manny looked at him "I warned you Constantine" just like that he vanished.

John went over to a table to get another cigarette, Manny knew how to push him, John saw no reason to have an angel stalking him everywhere he went. As the Englishman sat down he looked over at the shelf in front of him. A certain object caught his eye. It was a sword, he took a drag from a cigarette before leaning back in the chair and closing his eyes

Chas and John were looking through the shelf for a particular item. "Wow, what does this do," He asked picking up a sword. John looked at him " Put that down, that can't help us" He said. "That's not what I asked. I asked what it does, but you're too self-absorbed to hear me like always. And Renee, she's gone. I'm afraid I wasn't enough to keep her around. Can't tell you about it though not that you'd hear me.." John took the sword cutting him off. " This is the sword of the knight. Compels the holder to speak the truth.." Chas looked at him "Oh.." John raised an eyebrow " There anything you ..want to talk about or..." John asked "No, no"

John shot up almost falling off the chair. "Bloody hell" He ran his hands through his dirty blonde hair. " I think I need to lay off the booze," John said as he started to clean the place up, he started with the many whiskey bottles followed by the cigarette ends. Making his way over to a table with ash on it. The ash was from the scry map that Manny burned.

Mary 'Zed'Martin was sat at the scry map, she was trying to get a hit of it. " Nothings working" She said" Mary held her head in pain as John had a lit cigarette in his mouth, he looked over at her " You got anything yet" Mary looked at him "It has been two hours and all I've gotten is a migraine, maybe I should take a break" John went back to what he was doing " there is always a price to pay in magic Luv. " He said as he put the cigarette but in the ashtray. Zed started to try again. She was still in pain but worked through it.

John threw the ash into a bin along with the empty bottles and cigarette buts, he started to carefully clean the artefacts in the mill house. He looked down at the helmet of fate. Leaving it there Constantine started to clean the chalkboard off when he stopped suddenly to look at three words written on it. "Erom naht siht" he sighed knowing who wrote it for him and what it meant, this was one of the main things that he regretted in what he chose and how he acted towards her.

John was sat in a magic house. A woman walked up to him, she was wearing fishnets, boots, and a stage magician outfit. " Ello love," He said as he looked at her " Shut up," Zatanna said in an angry tone, she looked pissed off at him " The House Of Mystery belongs to ME now ..And as I recall. I threw your worthless ass out of here days ago. Now, why are you back? " John just sat there looking at her " Answer me " Zatanna screamed " but y'just told me to shut up" He replied not really wanting to piss her off anymore then she already is. " I'm warning you John". " just ..just five minutes Zee ..that's all I ask." Zatanna sat down "fine five minutes"

John left the writing up there " I messed up bad with ya Zee ...my arrogance got the best of me" John said as he threw the cloth. He went and sat back down on the floor. " Here we are again Johnny ... just me myself and i.." he slowly started to fall asleep.

Next Morning

John awoke with a completely new attitude, he had a shower, got changed into clean clothes. He looked at the map " right...now where would i be hiding if I was them" he scanned the map before sighing " Maybe I should start with Zee ..." he said as he looked at a flyer "this will be exciting" He lit a cigarette then headed out the door, his destination, Hub City, his task...trying to persuade Zatanna to help him.

John was sat on a train. He had a poster in his pocket. Getting it out he looked at the poster, "Hub City for two days...let's hope I get there in time" John said as he slowly fell asleep. His mind started to slip into different dreams until it comes to a certain one. He moved slightly as it becomes clear to him what it was.

Zatanna and John were stood on the remains of a battlefield surrounded by grey smoke. Zatanna held onto John's left arm. " John if it came down to a choice between me and the world which would you choose, " She asked him. John let out a small sigh "That's not a fair question " John replied "No but it's the one I'm asking " John looked at her. "You Zee ..id choose you" Zatanna looked up at him "Every time " John moved a piece of her long black hair away from her face. "Now let's get out of here Love, " John said with a small smirk on his face. " raeppasid" Zatanna said before they disappeared and reappeared on a rooftop. John took Zatanna's face in his hand then softly kissed her. Zatanna held onto his arms as the two locked lips for there last romantic kiss. There was passion between the interlocked lovers lips.

John woke up in shock, he pressed against his lips with his fingers " I failed you ...broke your heart .. hopefully, you forgive me Zee" John sighed as he picked up his bag. He stepped off the train and headed into the city. In such for Zatanna.