Begining

I'm not sure wether I should start at the beginning or the end. My memory over the years seems sparse and though I'd like to reminisce about all the good times and found memories even those seem few. How can that be you ask. Everyone has tons of memories of their childhood, celebrations, holidays. How can you not have those? The answer is I do, just not as many. Maybe it's my minds way of dealing with whatever it thinks it's dealing with.

It's funny how our brain works. How it picks and chooses what we remember and what we don't. Or when we remember things. Certain smells, sights, sounds how they trigger that long lost and forgotten memory. And then how there's some memories we remember like it happened minutes ago. Those are the memories I'd like to forget.

What's your earliest memory? As a baby? Toddler? Elementary school? For everyone it's different. For me it's the age of 8. Christmas time. I've heard memories from my mom as she retold them to others. My fondest being the story of the ice cream trip at the age of 5.

I remember, at least I think it's a memory and not just a retelling, sitting on the bench in the ice cream shop with my brother, waiting. I don't remember waking up or getting dressed in my favorite green plaid dress, which I only know if my favorite because my mom told me. And I deffinatly don't remember walking across the train tracks or highway with my 2 year old brother in toe in nothing but his diaper. What I do remember is the hardness of the that bench and the race of my heart as I turned my head to see my dad waiting in the car. And the fear. Even at the age of 5 I knew what was waiting for me in that car. I was to learn much later in life that the clerk knew my mother and recognized my brother and me. Seeing that we were there alone she took it upon her self to call my home and let my parents know where we were. Now what my punishment was that too I don't remember.