Tam: Good News and Bad News

Keefe walks out, looking a little nervous.

"What happened? Did you get expelled?" I elbow him. He shakes his head.

"I'll tell you later."

"Something bad?"

"It depends on how you look at it." He takes my hand, and we walk down the empty halls. School has been let out, and I need to apologize to Fitz.

"Can you come to Everglen with me?" I ask.

"Is this a date?" Keefe smiles.

"An apology."

"So, no," Keefe smiles, but sympathetically. 

I nod.

"Maybe after?" I shrug.

"Did you, Tam Song, just ask me on a date?" Keefe laughs, and ruffles my hair. I shrug again.

"I guess I did, didn't I."

"I will, but only if you don't go all Mr. Silent on me." He pinches my nose.

"Aye, aye Captain," I salute. 

He laughs. "You know, you're pretty funny," he says. "Not nearly as funny as me," he pats his chest, and leaning close, "but pretty funny." He's close enough now that I can feel his breath on my face. It still smells like the cookies from lunch. He kisses me, but this time it doesn't feel foreign, but familiar. I close my eyes and live for the moment, hoping we don't get interrupted. For once.

***

We walk into the entrance of Everglen, the huge house that the Vacker family lives in. Keefe knocks on the door. Mrs. Vacker answers.

"Oh hi, Keefe. And Tam is it?" I nod. "What're you two doing here?"

"Tam has an apology. He, uh, wasn't super nice to Fitz today." Keefe says politely.

"Yes, I heard about that." She looks at me. "Don't worry. I'm not upset. I mean, I am, but not enough to hate you." I nod. "Well, anyway. Come on in. Fitz is in his room." 

We walk in, and Keefe leads me to Fitz's room. He knocks.

"Yeah?" Fitz's voice comes through the door.

"It's me," Keefe says.

"Okay, you can come in Keefe," Fitz sounds slightly relieved.

"Oh, and Tam's with me." Keefe says, opening the door. "To apologize."

"Oh." Fitz looks at me. "I think I owe you both an apology." I nod vigorously, but Keefe just looks down. "Well, I'm sorry. Truly. I was a jerk."

"Understatement." Keefe looks up.

"Yeah, okay. I guess I deserved that," Fitz laughs.

"Now it's my turn. I'm sorry, Fitz. I'm sorry I lashed out at you. I was a jerk." The words come out all chunky. I don't really mean a word of what I'm saying. Wonderboy is gullible enough to believe me though.

"Thank you," Fitz looks at me. "It means a lot that you do this. Even though you probably were forced to."

"Is there any food?" Keefe breaks the silence. Fitz nods.

"Yeah, you can get it on your way out." A cue that it's time to leave. We all head down the stairs. Keefe gets some food from a cupboard. He eats it in three bites.

"You were hungry," Fitz says, laughing. Keefe nods, choking on his food. We walk out of the kitchen, and to the front door. Fitz opens it, and leads us out. "See you guys tomorrow." Keefe shifts his feet.

"Yeah, bye Fitz," he smiles, but not a real smile. We walk out of the gate, and Keefe grabs my hand so we can stick together when we light leap.

"I know the perfect spot for our date!" Keefe grins at me. I totally forgot. He pulls me into the light.

***

The view is amazing. We're sitting under a tree, with a view of the ocean in front of us. Atlantis is far down, and more east. Keefe leans on my shoulder. He laces his fingers up with mine, and squeezes. "I'm so sorry."

"About what?" What's going on? He untangles his fingers from mine, and sits up more, looking at me.

"When Magnate Leto told me to stay behind, it was because he was giving me a mission. For the Black Swan." It takes a second to connect the dots.

"No. You can't go. I opened up for you. You can't just... leave." Keefe looks down. He doesn't want to go. "I—how long will you be gone."

"I-I don't know." Keefe sounds defeated. He looks up, his eyes wet. A tear leaks down his left eye. I wipe it away, and he gently grabs onto my forearm, moving my hand to his cheek. Another tear comes down, this time from his right eye. I wipe it with my other hand, and he grabs it and does the same thing. Now both my hands are on his cheeks.

"I love you," he whispers.

"Yeah," I whisper back, heart beating. "Yeah, me too." Our eyes lock. This time, I lean in and kiss him. I feel a smile on his lips before he kisses back. But then he pulls away and stands up.

"I," he looks down. "I should go. To tell my dad about where I'm going. But promise me one thing when I'm gone. You have to stand up to your dad before I come back. Give him a piece of your mind. Just don't break his collarbone." He smile sadly.

"I will if you do." I look up at him. He nods.

"Deal," he looks away. I get up and move over to him. I reach my arms out and awkwardly hug him. He puts his arms around my waist, but limply.

"Goodbye Keefe." I whisper. "I'll see you soon." He nods and kisses my cheek.

"Yeah, I hope so, Bangs Boy."