1

The smell of pancakes in the morning ignites one of the best feelings in the world. Well, for me, the second. The first? We'll get to that later. 

The sweet scent lifted me out of bed and drifted me towards the kitchen where my best friend and roommate, Tessa, was flipping the pancakes. 

"Mmm," I wrapped my fuzzy robe tighter around me, "smells yummy."

Tessa looked back at me and chuckled, "Oh, did you want some?"

I rolled my eyes at her. "Yes, please." 

Tessa flipped a couple onto a plate and set on the table for me. "Want some coffee to go with that?"

"No, actually," I said, holding my hand up to reject the steaming cup of coffee she was offering me. "I'll get some for the diner."

Tessa's smile flipped as she gave me a disappointing frown. "Not today, Charlie," she said. "Today's going to be a good day, I can just feel it. Please don't go."

I shoved another piece of the pancake into my mouth while standing up. "Yeah, you're absolutely right. It's going to be a wonderful day. Right after I get my things done at the diner."

"Well," Tessa huffed. "I'm not bailing you out if you get caught."

I only shrugged. "Fine. But you know I never get caught," I scoffed. Tessa sighed. She knew I was right.

I went back to my room to get dressed. The same getup I always wore to the diner. My worn down leggings, my grandfather's jean jacket over a tank top, and my grandmother's pear cut sapphire ring. But that morning when I reached for the ring, which I normally set on my dresser every night, it was gone. 

I felt my breath leave me. "Tessa!" I called into the hallway.

"What?" she called back.

"Have you seen my ring?" I said. I felt that cold, dead feeling in my stomach, the one you get when you just know something is wrong.

"No," Tessa peeked her head at me from down the hall. "It's not there?"

I shook my head, "I thought I had it last night. It's my lucky ring."

At that, Tessa rolled her eyes. "Lucky ring. I'm sure you left it in a jacket pocket or something," she chucked. "Let's see how the infamous Charlie Mattes works without her lucky ring."

"Ha ha," I mocked, but I couldn't help but feel uncomfortable by the empty nakedness on my middle finger, where I always wore the ring. "I'm going."

"Have fun," Tessa said, in a disapproving tone. Tessa and I were like sisters, but my "extracurricular" she would never approve of. "At least get me a new key chain, will you?"

Our little town of Emery, Indiana was quiet and quaint. On this particularly easy-going Sunday morning, the roads were empty outside of Tessa and I's townhouse. My favorite diner was down a couple blocks, only a sweet stroll away. It used to be Tessa's favorite, too, but I ruined it for her.

When I reached the diner, the patrons and employees barely gave me a second look. Everyone was used to me being here. There was a counter seat that was always left empty, just for me. When I sat down, the waitresses always set down my favorite drink, a caramel macchiato, in front of me. Sometimes they'd ask me if I wanted funnel cake fries with that, but it was usually a given. My trips to the diner were always quiet. No one sat down next to me, no one but the waitress would speak to me. I would pull up the crossword in the Emery Edition and see how far I could get before I finished my coffee. Once my coffee was drained, the funnel cakes fries inhaled, and the check paid, I'd leave. There was never a wasted moment at the diner.

So I walked in, sat down at my counter seat and started to sip on the macchiato that was slid across the counter to me. I had barely glanced at the crossword when someone slipped into the seat next to me. I slowly turned my head to see a young man, maybe my age, asking for the same thing I had.

"Hey," he said. The first thing I noticed was how handsome he was. I know, it sounds silly, but Tessa and I and the girls we used to hang around in high school used to be so boy crazy. He was tall, I could tell, and I took notice of how he filled the arms of his leather jacket. His hair was dark and he had ocean eyes.

"Hey," I gave him a smile. Tessa always made fun of this smile. She said it could make any boy go weak in the knees and she got a real hoot of out how I used it. "Haven't see you around."

"I'm new in town," he said, sticking out a hand. "Noah."

I took his hand and gave it a good shake. "Charlie."

Noah looked down at our hands. "Firm handshake you got there."

"If there's one thing my dad taught me, it would be how to give a good handshake," I said, as I released my grip.

"Interesting," Noah said. "Hey, you got plans for the rest of the day?"

"Sort of," I shrugged. "A little bit of shopping. It's my me time."

"Ah, that's too bad," Noah said.

This perked my interest. "And why is that?"

"Well," Noah smirked. "I haven't been here very long. I thought maybe a pretty girl like you could show me around?"

I can't say I wasn't tempting. He was one good-looking man. Plus, I didn't have my grandmother's ring. My good luck charm. Maybe it would be better to skip out on my plans until I found it.

But, it was like a itch I could never scratch. "I'm sorry," I said. "I actually should get going." I gulped down the rest of my coffee. "I hope to see you around town, though."

I tossed a couple dollar bills onto the counter and slipped out of the seat. Noah gave me a look as I left the diner. Maybe if I'd taken another moment to look at him, I would've seen it was apologetic.

There was a store directly across the street from the diner. It was like a tiny gas station store, but without the gas station, with all it's random knick knacks and all. I was a frequent visitor of this store, especially when I just need to scratch the itch a little.

The owner of the store didn't like me, of course. He had no proof of my actions and once in a while I actually would come in and purchase a bag of chips, just to keep him guessing. Today, he was on the phone, arguing with someone in the back of the store. So, I just made my way through the aisles, minding my own business. 

Oreos. I loved Oreos. Pulled them off the shelf. iPhone charger? Mine has been weird lately. Grabbed it. And key chains. Tessa wanted a key chain. They never had her name exactly, "Tessa," but I found "Tess."

I glanced to the back on the shop while I slid the key chain off the hook. The owner's back was turned. The priced tags peeled off like stickers. No cameras. No extraordinary security measures. Easy.

I was about to step out of the store when the alarms went off. It took me so much by surprise that I froze. I never freeze.

The owner of the store was in next to me now. "It worked! It worked!" he was jumping up and down. "I finally got you, you bugger!"

"What?" I whispered. I was stunned. What was going on?

I feel my wrists being pulled behind my back. "You're under arrest."

I turned my head and to my complete astonishment, it was Noah handcuffing me.

"I tried to get you to go somewhere else," Noah said, shrugging. "I really tried. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law..."