Chapter 22

Chapter 22

       Dedrick had really come a long way since the two of us first met. I was so worried that when he was told the news about his parents trying to talk to Andrew, he would be so mad and not want to talk to anyone.

       That was the case.

       He wasn't angry at all. Maybe a bit worried that they would find out where he lived, but he wasn't angry about it. And he definitely wasn't hiding his anger since that was something he didn't know how to do. Once he was angry, he couldn't hide it.

       I was really proud of him for not getting mad.

       Andrew had basically moved into our house and honestly, I didn't mind. He was also helping out a lot and paying for some groceries so it wasn't like he was living here for free. 

       Dedrick was more than okay with Andrew living here for the time being. It would be a lot easier for their parents to find out where Andrew lived if he was staying with their grandparents, so by staying here, there was an even smaller chance.

       I had been feeling so cooped up in the house lately so Andrew and I were going to head to the restaurant Dedrick worked at for lunch. Mainly because Dedrick was working there right now and I wouldn't mind checking him out.

       It definitely helped that he was our waiter. He walked over to us, chuckling as he handed us the menus. "You two couldn't have picked any other place to eat?" he asked.

       "Nope," I said. "This was the closest one and I didn't feel like going too far."

       "That's the excuse you're going with?" Dedrick said.

       "Yes."

       "Alright, then. Can I start you off with any drinks?"

       "We'll both have a water," Andrew said.

       Dedrick raised an eyebrow. "You know Alya can order for herself, right?"

       "Yeah, I can order for myself," I said. "Even though he got it right. I do want water."

       "See? I chose right," Andrew said. "And I was just trying to prevent the two of you from flirting so I don't feel lonely. Couples suck."

       "Don't you have a boyfriend?" I asked.

       "Yes. But I'm mad at him right now for not going to the restaurant Friday night with his friends. He goes every Friday and he didn't go last time."

      "Your relationship is so confusing," Dedrick said. "I'm concerned that you two generally hate each other. 

       Andrew only shrugged in reply so Dedrick left and went to the kitchen to go get our drinks.

       Andrew's cell phone started ringing so he pulled it out of his pocket to check the caller. "Ugh, Dean," he said before ignoring the call and placing his phone on the table.

       I furrowed my eyebrows. "Shouldn't you try to at least talk to him?"

       "Nope," Andrew said. "Like I said, I'm mad at him."

       "For not going to the restaurant one night?" I asked. "I don't understand why you'll be mad at him over that."

       "Because..." Andrew began, but he stopped himself as if he was debating whether or not he should tell me. In the end, he sighed and continued. "Because he doesn't want his friends to know we're dating and quite frankly, I don't want them to know either. But they all hang out a lot and it's hard for Dean to think of an excuse not to hang out with them, so we barely spend any time together. I haven't seen him for a full week so I was kind of looking forward to seeing him on Friday, even if it meant we had to pretend to hate each other."