Chapter 1: Welcome to the Literature Club!

"Heeeeeeyyyy!" A loud familiar voice shouted. I see an annoying guy running toward me from the distance, waving his arms in the air like he's totally oblivious to any attention he might draw to himself. That guy is Feliciano Vargas, my neighbor and good friend since we were children. You know, the kind of friend you'd never see yourself making today, but it just kind of works out because you've known each other for so long?

We used to walk to school together on days like this, but starting around high school he would oversleep more and more frequently, and I would get tired of waiting for him. But if he's going to chase after me like this, I almost feel better off running away. However, I just sigh and idle in front of the crosswalk and let the small Italian catch up to me.

He panted heavily as he glanced up at me.

"Vee~! I overslept again! But I caught you just in time!" He cheerfully says. I rolled my eyes.

"Maybe, but only because I decided to stop and wait for you." I told him.

"Eeehhhhh, you say that like you were thinking about ignoring me! That's mean, Luddy!" Feliciano pouted as he looked down.

"Well, if people stare at you for acting weird then I don't want them to think we're a couple or something." I blushed while turning away from him.

"But you did wait for me, after all. I guess you don't have it in you to be mean even if you want to~" He gave me a warm smile that would make my heart pound fast. We cross the street together and make our way to school. As we draw near, the streets become increasingly speckled with other students making their daily commute. 

"By the way Luddy, have you decided on a club to join yet?" He asked me.

"A club? I told you already, I'm really not interested in joining any clubs. I haven't been looking, either." I told him.

"But, I thought you told me you wanted to join a club this year!" Feliciano says. I looked at him in confusion.

"Did I?" I asked. I'm sure it's possible that I did, in one of our many conversations where I dismissively go along with whatever he's going on about. Feliciano likes to worry a little too much about me, when I'm perfectly content just getting by on the average while spending my free time on exercising.

"Si! I was talking about how I'm worried that you won't learn how to socialize or have any skills before college. Your happiness is really important to me, you know!" He replied.

"Fine, I'll look at a few clubs if it makes you happy." I mumbled.

"Will you at least promise you'll try a little? I don't wanna keep worrying about you." He pouts while looking awkwardly cute.

"Ja, I promise." I smiled at him.

"Yay!" He pulled me into a hug. I blushed as I felt his arms around my neck.

Why do I let myself get lectured by such a carefree guy? More than that, I'm surprised I even let myself relent to him. I guess seeing him worry so much about me makes me want to ease his mind at least a little bit. Even if he does exaggerate everything inside his head. 

***

The school day is as ordinary as ever, and it's over before I know it. After I pack up my things, I stare blankly at the wall, looking for an ounce of motivation.

"Clubs.." I muttered to myself. Feliciano wants me to check out some clubs. I guess I have no choice but to start with the sports club.

"Luddy~!" I hear that same familiar voice calling out to me. I sighed as walked up to him.