The Job

" Jhreu wake yo' scrawny ass up and get ready to take yo' brothers to school "

" Damn I hated waking up to this place " , I thought as I stretched to get out of the only thing I cherished in this house MY BED.  I looked over at my phone it was 9:50am , if the bitch was gonna yell me out my sleep like that the least she could've did was woke me up on time. I started to get myself ready being as though I showered before bed last night , my hair was short so I just ran my fingers through it to give it a lift. The breaking silence of my inspirational Pandora session was replaced with the jangling of my Alex and Anil brackets as I fixed my hair.

" When will I get a BREAK " , I Screamed as my iPhone began to ring hence my music being silenced.

It was nobody important just my shifty pass job that I would THINK about going to today. I continued to get dressed , complementing my body with some Ivy Park leggings and a quick tube top , I mean I was only driving the kids to school ....... right?

 I get downstairs ready to walk out of what appeared to be the nightly smoke sessions where all the hood niggas fall asleep on Ma couch. " Aye Jhreu when you gonna quit that nasty job of yours and come make some money? " he slightly said as I crept pass.

It was X , the biggest drug dealer on this part of town. He was cool but he know I wasn't worried about getting anywhere near him the way he throws in the towel when all his workers get caught.

" Look nigga my money is legal & it ain't much but it takes care of these two "

He chuckled " Shorty let me just show you what I can do for you ..." I cut him off " If it ain't gonna pay that payment and insurance to that pretty muthafucka parked outside Quit Talkin " . And I left , Ka'Shon and Reilly were already late , including them getting breakfast we would be set back another 30. I slowly crept around the drive thru after ordering half the damn Burger King , damn these lil niggas can eat !

" $22.47 " she whispered followed by smacking gum ignorantly. " I'm sorry ? " I asked knowing I heard her but bitch who pissed in ya cereal with all that attitude. " TWENTY TWO FOURTY SEVEN " she said sarcastically as if I was autistic. I threw my car in park because at some point in this conversation she had me fucked up. " Listen you work here I DONT , you need the job not me you can be a fucking woman and serve me my food , or I could park my car and beat you into a better mood" , I said as I held up the line.  Before I could continue putting her in her place the manager came to the window apologizing and doing what the duck is supposed to be done in a drive thru.

 I did 80 the whole way to their school , I couldn't risk them being any later I worked hard for them to get in this school I couldn't duck up in the beginning of the school year. The drive home was normal , I rolled a blunt in the school parking lot and took 83 to get back home. Arriving , the idiots from the morning were just leaving my house , I took a few minutes to get out to avoid confrontation. I finally get in my room debating if I wanted to do this 11am - 11pm shift and as soon as I opened my door I see a wrinkled up brown paper bad on my bed. My phone started ringing with a call from a private number. I answered and pressed mute and speaker to listen for a voice.

" Aye shorty , you got what I left you ? " .... It was X . " What is this on my bed yo? "

" Listen what you said earlier kinda fits in my line of business , what I can do for you can pay for that Icy Black whip you got and then some. "

" Look I'm not about to be running no drugs for you , hittin' no plays , or stashing ""shit for your evil ass"

" See now I thought we knew each other better than that , girl I know you ain't built for the consequences of handling no dope " he laughed . " Well what do you want ? And what the hell is in this bag ? "

" You sound interested , find out whats in the bag and I'll be through later when we come crash to talk business better with you " . The phone hung up.

.

.

.

.

I looked at the clock so long my eyes began to cross , " Whyyyyy would I take this shift ?" I cried out. I knew I hated doing doubles but it got the bills paid , so I'm always taking somebody shift or signing up for overtime.

The clock finally struck 11:00pm , I walked to my car so fast that I dropped my keys right before I approached my door. I always smoke a blunt on the ride home but tonight was different , I had a gut feeling and went with it. Instead I stopped at Royal Farms to get some snacks before I took it in.

" You still sticking needles in people ?" I heard a familiar voice and turned around to a stranger of 7 years. I turned around laughing " Yea , I been waiting to see you there , I got a special IV for you "

It was Black , my ex. I haven't seen her in years , she looked so good winking at me through those Cartier lenses that made me wet right through my scrubs. She had on a Hugo Boss polo and some shredded Balmain Capris. She payed for both of our stuff and we sat in my car and caught up , she insisted she stay the night with me because her and olé' girl had been fussing and she wasn't too interested in going home tonight. So I followed her a few blocks away to her best friends block so she could park her car and get in mine. The drive home was well needed we goofily sang love songs to each other reminiscing on the vanishing relationship we had just seven years ago.

I stuck my key in my door and turned it slowly to avoid making any sound walking in the house. The living room fludded with smoke , but not enough to blur out this familiar face. " What you here for drive thru ? "

X began to smirk " Jhreu chill yo , this my babymother " .... By this time Black done already made it to my room with X following behind me whatever BS he had up his sleeve was not about to mess up my night with her. So I stepped in Ma room since she was downstairs smoking with the block anyway.

" So you ready to do business or what? Did you look in the bag ? "

"  No I didn't " Shit I remembered I never even moved the bag off my bed , Black probably done stuck her hand in by now thinking its mine.

" Well when you do you'll find $10,000 that's first pay . "

" First pay for what X , I ain't agree to shit! " I high pitch whispered

" Yo you not even listening to me , look I been noticing some activity that's been tucking my money up and I dont like it. "

I crossed my arms and rested my weight on my left hip waiting for him to continue.

" I just need you to be a lookout , something like a neighborhood granny , watch everybody , report any muhfuckers that need to be silenced , you know kinda like that fat motherfucker on your floor down John Hopkins! "

He was talking about the security guard. " So let me get this straight , you paying me $10,000 to watch the block ? "

" Easy as pie right? " ... " Now move they Prolly done smoked all the weed as long as I been up here playing Hooked on Phonics with ya pretty ass.