Chapter 15

Adrian looked like he just had an epiphany.

"Isis," he said and hugged her. Mireille and Cornelius stood there in bewilderment as I watched Adrian hug this girl named Isis. He knew her and to give her such a hug meant that they had a close relationship.

Eileen appeared shortly. Perfect timing. I needed to escape.

"Laine you have to get home," she told me. Adrian and the others looked too distracted, so I did not bother saying anything as Eileen and I left the fortress.

Eileen dropped me off right at my doorsteps and I gave her quick thanks before she left.

"Laine, you're home!" Katy said excitedly. She had just come from her room and gave me a hug when I came into the living room. It was one of the friendliest hugs I'd ever received and it made me miss the days when it was just me and my little sis. So much had happened that I was missing out on the precious moments I needed to spend with my family. Katy was generally happy, but the way she was beaming made me feel as if there was a reason behind it.

"Hello little sis."

Katy's ecstatic mood faded a little. "I'm not little." She pouted. Even though she was turning ten in two months.

She quickly changed the subject. "Hey guess what? Dad called."

I was astounded for a moment and then I felt a wave of happiness and relief.

"What did mom say?" I asked her.

"Mom took a short shift and dad called after she left."

"Oh," I said and waited a minute before asking what dad had actually said.

"How we were, how mom was and..." She didn't continue.

"And?" I urged.

"He wants to take us shopping this weekend."

My face lit up. "Really?" I asked ecstatically.

Katy nodded.

A sudden wave of realization hit me then and I frowned.

"Can't go, I'm grounded."

"By the way, I'm sorry about that," Katy said.

"That's okay," I said still frowning.

I knew she only did it because she was worried. I would be startled too if I found that she'd gone missing all of a sudden.

"I told dad about that and he said he would talk to mom about it."

"Oh," was all I could say.

The last time dad tried talking to mom, just before he left, it didn't sound good and it didn't end well. Who knows? Maybe this time it would be better. Even when he used to call more frequently, mom had been hesitant to let us talk to him.

"He got a job," Katy said.

"Yeah?"

"He said he works at some computer company called Techno Limited and he gets paid really well."

"That's great," I said realizing that there was a tiny bit of chance I'd get to go shopping again after more than three months. My wish of going shopping had gone down the drain after I learned that I was broke. Mom refused to give me any allowance until I learned my lesson. I wanted to have some fun anyway after all that had happened with Adrian. The image of him hugging Isis appeared in my mind and I felt a wave of jealousy.

"Laine?" Katy asked and I could tell she'd been asking that for a while.

"Sorry, what?"

"Should we tell Mary?"