Prologue

I stood in silence, the wind blowing against my back. People walking past me, a mere blur of existence.  I listened, sounds muffled and jumbled.  People talking, children laughing. Music from a near by location blared through the speakers.

Here I stood, in a crowd full of people, invisible to all.  Purely a shadow of life. No one touched me, no one looked my direction.  

I took the steps, required to reach my destination of an old building. Looking up, I knew what would come of me once I stepped foot inside. My life, my dreams would all vanish.  I'll truly be alone, forever searching for my true home.

One step..  Two steps...  Three steps...

I reached the door,  the large structure glooming at me.

One knock...

My heart quickened its pace. 

Two knocks.. 

I swore I would faint. 

The door opened, a woman much older than myself stood before me. Long beautiful black hair, her green eyed glowed into the night. 

She beckoned me inside. I stepped over the threshold, my heart racing in my chest. The woman, closing the door looked in my direction.  

Holding out her hand, she spoke. A foreign language to my ears, beautiful nonetheless. I felt compelled to take her outstretched hand. With a smile,  she led me deeper into the building, I could no longer turn back...