The Puppet

Moonlight shone through the old wooden window, reflecting against the bright red hair of the young girl sat upon a stool situated in the once dark room. The girl hummed quietly to herself as she continuously fiddled with the long piece of string tied neatly into her pristine hair; curiosity enveloped her as she did so. What would happen if she cut the string?
Nobody told her she couldn't....
But then again no one had told her anything because she was always by herself.

If she cut the string though, she could be free forever with nothing to hold her back.
Back from what exactly?
The girl didn't know what was out there yet still a small voice in her head screamed for her to find out - even the danger of it all seemed to entice her further.

A small pair of scissors was placed almost purposely before her, calling out to her, taunting her. The girl tried to tell me once that she tried to resist the call on multiple occasions; I don't talk to her anymore. No one does. Because as the fiery little redhead gingerly reached out for the scissors on that day, she went to cut the string.

SNIP

And she
                f
                   e
                      l
                        l

Limply to the floor.

In her adventure for freedom the girl failed to realise that the string was the only thing keeping her alive.
She didn't cherish what she had and constantly longed for more than she could have and so her punishment came swiftly.

Or maybe she did cherish it, enough to resist the temptation of ridding herself of it.

Maybe I, the storyteller, was the one who really cut the string...

Word count: 282

AUTHORS NOTE
{Firstly, I don't know if I had to put I trigger warning in the description but I did so just in case????? xoxo}
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Well this story was a bit of a fail as I haven't written anything for ages. (And I wrote this in like 10mins so it doesn't really make any sense??????)
What do you think though, do you prefer my short stories?
Also, what genre of short story is your favourite (and therefore would like to see me write more of hopefully)?

Much appreciation

-carxlinefxrbes_ xoxoxo