Chapter One

Bronte Texas was one of the smallest towns that Texas had ever seen. With a population of less than 1,000, it made sense that The Southern Style cafe I worked in was almost empty on a Wednesday afternoon. Everyone was either hiding out in their dumpy jobs, or somewhere by the water, wishing for a way out of this awful town.

One thing about it though, was there was a bus that came by and picked up people right outside the cafe, which meant we usually got a bit of service from there. It was enough service to keep this old, musky cafe open, at least. Which meant I had a job so I could save money.

Most people around here have given up on ever getting on. We weren't the type of town to have secrets hiding behind the scenes. No cults resided here, no secret murders or societies. We were plain. Nothing. Just sad.

I look at the clock and it reads 9:45 AM. My shift started at 6:45 and it would end at midnight. I knew that if I reported it, the owner could get in some serious trouble. But it was probably the best job around here, so I didn't complain. It was an empty town, like I said. So it wasn't a hard job.

But it did have one thing I couldn't stand. Bertha the coffee machine. It almost never worked, no matter how hard I beat at it with a hammer. "Why don't y'all just get a new one?" Amy, the mother of four who comes here to get away from her abusive husband, asks. I laugh.

"Oh come on!", she argues and leans forward. I take the moment to examine her features. She looked like she could possibly be beautiful, if drugs hadn't ruined her life just a few years before. "I'm sure old man Harry could afford it! It isn't like rent is expensive".

Harry was my boss and the owner of the place. He was actually one of the only people, other than the Donovan's that owned anything in this town. Too bad it wasn't like in the movies, where some uptight family comes in and owns every building and makes the town rich and fancy. Nope, the Donovan's were as hick as the rest of us.

But Harry was a kind man. One with a gentle heart and he knew my grandmother before she passed away. He was up in age, and was unable to do much for the cafe anymore. So, when I graduated high school and informed him I had no plans on college, he swiped me up and gave me my first job. I would always be grateful of Harry.

"Oh, please" The old lady Linda with the big hair by Amy pleads. "You know Harry isn't doing too good. He's been laid up in the hospital since Sunday. Everyone knows the hospital in this town is one you go to to die". My heart aches at her words, but I knew they weren't true.

I put the plate of scrambled eggs in front of Linda, then give Amy a free cup of coffee. "You know that isn't true", I begin, my southern accent coming out to play. They both look at me. "Only the lonely stay here to pass".

It was true. No one usually died here, unless they had nowhere else to go. No family left. It happened often, but more often than not. My grandmother had me, so she stayed here. But if I were to be diagnosed with a deadly disease, I would have nowhere to go. My mother and father dropped me off with my grandma when I was a baby, and I've never known any other family. But at least I did have Harry.

The ladies seem to agree with my answer and I go back to beating the coffee machine. I don't even stop when I hear the bell at the front door ding, letting me know that someone else had walked in. "Just a sec", I call out.

After I finally get it pouring again, I grab my notebook from the inside of my apron over my white dress, and turn to walk towards the table the costumer had chosen. But I stop dead in my tracks.

Sitting at a booth towards the back of the building, was the most beautiful man I'd ever seen, wearing his army green.