Chapter 1

I followed my mother as she dragged me forward into the crowd that was slowly forming around the stage, everyone in the city waiting to hear the news. I however, just wanted to go back to bed. Who has a national meeting at 8am? I mean really. This isn't necessary.

"Mum why do we have to be here? It's not going to be me" I complained as she dragged me further into the crowd of girls

"Paris" she scolded. "Stop being so pessimistic. It could be anyone and they would be missing out if they didn't choose you." I rolled my eyes at her resigning myself to silently hoping there wouldn't be some long speech dragging the event on. "Dear it doesn't matter how many times you say 'please don't have a speech' you cannot stop it happening" my mother's voice broke me out of my thinking as I slapped my hand over my mouth not realising I'd been speaking out loud. I mumbled an apology blushing brightly and actually stopped talking this time

"Good evening ladies" a voice spoke over the speakers that were plugged into the small television on the stage that I could only assume was there, me being too short to see over every teenage girl in my city. There wasn't actually anyone on the stage, just an old TV showing a broadcast that was being shown all across the country. "Today marks the day 400th anniversary of the very first draw" the voice announced sparking applause across the crowd

"Why are we applauding? The TV can't hear us" My mum gave me a look for my smart-ass comment making my sigh and focus my attention back on the voice and making my commentary in my head since it obviously wasn't appreciated out loud

"I'm sure you are all hoping that your name will be drawn" No not particularly "but of course they can only be one lady picked for each of the 150 countries that survived after The Great War. So, without further ado let's see who will be the lucky lady this time" A shuffling of paper is heard over the speakers which I guess must be the announcer 'selecting a name at random' but I think they chose people. Which exactly why I know it won't be me. I'm not the kind of person who gets picked for this stuff. I snap out of my thinking as the crowd in front of me parts and I can finally see the stage, and as I take in the security guard stood by the TV - that's when it hits me what I just heard. "This year's Lady of Italy, is Paris Ducere." Shit.

Everyone is staring at me judging me and deciding if I was a good choice as my mum guides my shocked form towards the stage. She pushes me forward onto the stage as the guard hands me a piece of paper and a microphone. My eyes skim the speech that has been given to me but I know that my only option is to read it no matter what it says. I slowly lift the microphone to my lips staring at the paper and refusing to look at the huge crowd of girls in front of me, knowing that a lot of them would kill to be stood where I am right now. "Since The Great War ended 400 years ago, a new royalty has successed each country every 20 years. I, Paris Ducere, accept my position as the Lady of Italy in this draw, and will attend The Royal Academy to success our queen in 5 years' time. I will do everything in my power to be a queen fitting of our magnificent country"

I breathe a sigh of relief once I finish and jump when the security guard places his hand on my back guiding me rather forcefully off the stage and towards my mum who is waiting beside a black car. I follow my mother inside and the limo starts driving.

"Excuse me sir but where are we going exactly?" My mother asks the driver, barely fazed by the situation.

"I am returning you to your house for the day. Lady Paris you have until 9pm to pack anything you wish to bring and say goodbye to your family. Clothes will be supplied for you at the academy so don't bring too many but we understand you may want some of your own to wear in your free time." I think I lost him at 'Lady Paris' cause I'm pretty sure I went into shock after hearing that. But I suppose I should get used to it now

The car pulled up outside my house and I jumped out running straight to my room wanting to take a nap and this all have been a dream. I'd like to tell you I was excited or I was dreading it and didn't want to leave. Or that I had some love of my life that I don't want to leave. But I really don't. I'm pretty impartial about this whole academy thing. I mean, I never in a million years thought it would be me, but everyone is taught about The Great War and The Draw since birth. We knew someone would be going this year. Believe me I know I won't be this calm once I'm at the academy, but right now I'm not that bothered.

I grab the small black suitcase the driver had given to my mum who apparently followed me up to my room and set it on my bed looking around to decide what I would bring, like most people in this day and age, I didn't own much. I grabbed a couple of pairs of pajamas placing them in the case. They'll probably give us like silk night gowns or something and personally I much prefer comfy pajama bottoms and a baggy shirt. I gently place my small teddy dinosaur on top careful not to hurt him and then pack a couple of books that I've already read but wouldn't mind reading again. I sit down on my bed next to the case wondering what else I actually need to bring. "Oh yeah!" I announce out loud darting over to my bed side table and pulling out my book. My dad taught me how to bind books before he died and helped me make this leather-bound notebook. I've been using it to write a story since he died 2 years ago. A story I've almost finished. It would be a shame to leave it here and not finish it, even though no one will ever read it.

Right when the small clock in the kitchen hits 9pm a knock is heard on the front door. I'll give it to this guy, he's punctual. I pat my 10-year-old brother on the head and as I walk to the front door having already wished him goodbye and stand beside my mum who is standing by the door while the driver puts my suitcase in the boot of the car. I turn to her and see her crying silently and pull her into a hug "mum you'll see me soon I promise. And I'll write home as often as I can". She nods gently and smiles at me as I head towards the car. I climb in and the driver shuts the door immediately and I watch my mother watch the car as we drive away.

Here goes nothing I guess