Chapter Six

"What mighty skill you have with a quill, Mr. Jefferson," complimented Evelyn, projecting her voice to be loud for Thomas Jefferson. The patriotic crowd below them was cheering quite loudly, making it hard for people to hear each other. Yet, no one minded it as it was a cheer of happiness at its best peak. 

Not only were there loud voices, there were musicians from the Continental Army playing Yankee Doodle, Chester, The Liberty Song, and other patriotic pieces on their fifes and drums. 

"Thank you, Miss. Harrison," said Thomas who bowed his head in thanks. "To hear your compliment makes me feel blessed. Thank you."

A pink color found itself on Evelyn's cheeks as she blushed. "You're welcome, Mr. Jefferson. But please, call me Evelyn. 'Miss. Harrison' makes me feel older than I already am." 

Thomas laughed. "You are quite young, my dear. But I will call you what you wish and since I will be calling you on a first name basis from now on, you may call me Thomas." 

Thomas and Evelyn chatted for quite some time. They talked about lots of things, the most being about the Revolution and how the Continental Army was fairing. Thomas told her that the Congress had been getting mail from Washington asking for more money and food. And when Evelyn asked if the Congress responded with more money and food, Thomas shook his head sadly and said, "the Congress is currently bankrupted. We can do nothing but hope for the best." 

Evelyn quickly switched the subject to something more joyous. She hated when conversations became close to the tone of mourning. Their more joyous conversations came to an end when Benjamin Harrison's voice interrupted.

"Evelyn, are you ready to return home? I have a carriage waiting outside." he said. 

"Leaving already, Harrison?" asked Edward Rutledge who overheard Benjamin's question to Evelyn.

"Yes, Edward. I wish to take my daughter home where she will be surrounded by a loving family. Shall we?" Benjamin stuck his arm out to take and she took it. 

"We shall," she curtsied to Jefferson and Rutledge and took her father's arm, letting him guide her to the carriage where he told the coach their destination. She was on her way home: Charles County, Virginia: the Berkeley Plantation. 

AN: I really wish I kept in mind that Wattpad takes up more space than a college-ruled notebook...then the chapters wouldn't be so short. If you liked this chapter or any other chapter please vote and give feedback! They are greatly appreciated! Also, I might write a Percy Jackson fanfic, I'm not sure. 

Note: even though this story is historical fiction, not everything is historically accurate!