Prolouge

© All Rights Reserved

"Tell us about the time you fought a bear," Tim's voice sounded so delighted.

"The time I fought a bear... Who told you I fought a bear?" I asked curiously.

"Vince."

I glared at Vince, knowing he had made a story up for the child.

"Alright," I started to construct a story for the child. "Well there was this time when I was scouting in the woods. I was silently walking, when I heard twigs breaking under someone's feet. I was concerned, so I decided to hide in a nearby cave. It was dark and damp, a little steamy. I could feel the hot air blowing on my neck ever so lightly." Tim's face showed great concern at those words. "Feeling I was not alone, I turned to see what also had sought protection from the cave. There it was: a huge brown bear right behind me...!" I continued to make up more and more just for his excitement. Although none of it was true, it was timeless to see smile on his face.

I laid him down while Vince waited for me in the living room.

"You have school tomorrow. Please, actually go this time." The gentle sound of Vince's voice was persuasive, but he was more begging than asking.

I stared at him, thinking of how awful school was. Between training in the evenings and regular school in the mornings, I had no time on my hands to do anything else. That comes across selfish, but so be it.

"Alright," I grumbled. "I'll go."

"Thank you Erin. I know it seems pointless now, but you will need an education to get through life."

"I know," I whispered. I heard a car pull into the drive way. "Go," I encouraged him to leave the house.

I would baby sit Tim when his parents needed me, but he always adored my brother Vince. The parents knew Vince had an excellent fighting reputation, so they disliked him being near their child. I greeted them politely and started on my way. I walked into the brisk air of the night, followed by the pitter-patter of Vince's feet on the wet asphalt.

"Well that was fun." His face was lit the by the streetlights, as if it was glowing. He joined me, letting his teeth chatter while smiling slightly. "I can't wait to have children of my own."

~.~

Tap...tap....tap... My fingernails beat lightly to a steady rhythm on my desk, while my eyes gave every indication I was beyond annoyed with what the person in front of me was addressing everyone with. I looked at my friend, Isabella, who was texting under the table. I assumed she was talking to some boy, but soon enough I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. I was certain it was from her, but I couldn't look, or the teacher would see. My vibrate made a loud noise, enough to get the attention of the boring woman.

"Ms. Gunnolf, how do you feel about the government in modern society? No Inglés." My Spanish teacher was a plump older woman, with aging blue eyes that matched her ice cold heart. Her issues with my absences were well known.

The teacher was aware I didn't know enough Spanish to begin to answer her. According to my current grade, I didn't even know enough to pass her class. She stared down at me, thinking I was defeated. Fortunately, my parents defected from France and taught me how to speak fluent in the language of love.

I cleared my throat, "Je me sens comme la politique dans la société moderne peuvent soulever certaines alarmes. En particulier le système d'éducation. Les enseignants se dégradent étudiants et je crois que ce est grossier." (I feel like politics in modern society can raise some alarms. In particular, the education system. Teachers degrade students and I think it's rude.)

Everyone just stared at me, even the teacher. Finally, she sighed and left the class room. I looked around at everybody, who was not expecting me to speak French.

"Well, I'll take that as a sign that we get to go home." I picked up my bag and marched out of the school, not looking back.

I continued to troupe forward, pausing only for a moment to check the message Isabella had sent me. It was like all time had stopped. I recognized the number, and it was diffidently not Isabella's.

The message read: "Ms. Gunnolf, you should do better in school. I need you to get a good education."

"Zach," I breathed the words into the morning air. "It can't be."