1: Welcoming Death With Open Arms

Reincarnation was something I never really believed in, if I do say so myself.

I wasn't a hardcore Catholic. Yes, I was baptised when I was a baby but that didn't mean I was going to be God's most loyal servant when I grew up, did it? I don't really know why, but religion was never something that crossed my mind frequently. It just... wasn't my thing, you know?

The same went with love, school, friends, family, and everything else. Even as a child I would walk to school not opening my mouth even once, and it stays that way for most of the day. I'd speak when I was talked to, but only for a bit. As a result, the other kids thought I was hard to approach and most likely boring as well so they stopped trying to talk to me.

Years passed, and I went from being that quiet kid beside the the window to that. Just that. A thing.

It's as if I existed, but wasn't an important piece in the board. I was no king nor was I a queen. I was not an officer nor even a pawn.

I was simply there. An undeniably real, yet incomprehensible piece that served no real purpose.

High school felt like a breeze. Fleeting. Not even leaving a memory I would have liked to remember when I grew older and had to reminisce.

Well, not that I even had a chance to grow older.

-

It was May 14, 2018 when it happened. The memory's still fresh in my mind even though I couldn't tell exactly how much time had passed since then.

I was thinking about a lot of things that day, as per usual, but the thought that victoriously stood at the top was:

Man, it's hot.

Indeed, it was. The sweltering heat made my body sweaty, and despite just coming out of the shower around fifteen minutes before, I had a sudden urge to jump back in and hang out in the tub for hours on end.

Still, I walked. I had somewhere to get to, and while summer sucked more than I would like to admit, it was a fact that it was going to be almost unbearably hot today. Duh, it's summer. So I didn't really complain.

...Much.

The streets that were normally bustling with activity were... well, still rowdy, but not as much as I'd expected. I didn't know if it was because the heat was too much to handle, or because it was Sunday and everyone had something to do. Usually, they had household chores. Or babysitting chores. I wouldn't know.

I knew I had to do something, though. It wasn't important, but I thought it was interesting, so I made an effort to walk underneath the harsh glare of the sun although I've never gone out like this before.

Yeah, I was alone. That part was unusual. Usually, my family would send a group of men that would tail me wherever I went, but since I had sneaked out of the main compound, I wouldn't have to see their shady faces again. Honestly speaking, they unnerved me.

And so I walked alone, no men in suits, no weird dress, just me, my shirt, shorts, cap, and wallet.

My wallet contained around twenty-thousand yen. I had to take a big chunk of my money out of it because I saw in the internet that the city had many bad guys who might take it from me. Now I'm left with only a fraction of my monthly allowance. It made me feel a little naked. It's weird.

Remembering what I read in the site, I pulled on my cap and instinctively inched closer to the buildings.

Bam.

An unknown projectile crash into the my right leg, making me lose my balance. I stumbled for a second before regaining complete control over my weight and turning to the--