Star

Journal Entry #6- September 15, 2129, 7:58 p.m.

I sit on my bed staring at the tv across from me, contemplating whether or not to do my assigned math homework. Of course, I will get it done at some point, I just don't quite know when. I'm just too distracted. I don't like death. I don't wish that I did, but I want to be able to accept it a little more. I would like to know where people went when they die. Maybe then I would have a better time coping with the 232 deaths that have already occurred.

The final death count has increased nearly 100 in the past two hours. I'm afraid that it is going to spread more in California. So far, there has only been a couple cases here, and they have been reported fairly contained. Either way, in other parts of the world it has been spreading so quickly that we can't even be sure of the number of people infected. My guess is that thousands have been in contact with it, probably not knowing that the disease even exists. The strange thing about this disease is that 93% of people dead has been over the age of 30. This is fairly common in a lot of infections for the people to be older when infected because of weaker immune systems, but no children under the age of 4 have yet died. Babies tend to have weak immune systems like elderly people, so I am left utterly confused. 30 years old isn't exactly old either.

They have started telling us the side effects of the disease and how to know if you have contracted it or not. There are also a list of basic ways to avoid getting it.

Symptoms:
•Headaches
•Lack of oxygen
•Bruises on body
•Coughing
•Coughing blood
•Inability to eat
•Fainting
•Immediate hair loss
•Worsened sight/loss of sight
•Loss of feeling

They said that the affected did not feel much pain, and that by the time they died, they could feel nothing at all. It was a disease of mercy, if one could even call it that. I can only wonder why.

Ways to stay safe:
•Stay indoors
•Avoid traveling
•Stay away from the diseased
•Stay clean

I thought that these were some extremely basic ways to stay safe, but I knew that they didn't have enough information to conclude anything else. It's traveling so fast that I am sure we will lose track of the death count before I wake in the morning. I can only hope that I am safe tomorrow.

On a happier note, Lorri seems nice. I am happy that I was able to partner up with someone who has a similar understanding on school as I do. That was basically another way of saying she's smart. Our project isn't progressing too much, but we at least have enough time to finish it and make it as desired.

I just remembered the craziest thing! I hate all of this personal life talk, but this is really wierd so I'm writing it down. As I was writing the last part, I realized that I might have actually known Lorri before we started school. I was trying to remember her last name because I forgot it, and then once I recalled Rosain, I remembered that I have a neighbor at my parents house whose last name is Rosain. I think that they had a daughter who was around my age. I occasionally talked to her whenever I saw her outside (which wasn't often). She was fairly reclusive, so I didn't see her after a time. We specialized in different high school, which I'm guessing is why I never saw her much. I'm pretty sure that was Lorri. I wonder if she remembers me.
That concludes today's portion of my written log.

-Star Enisch, environmental scientist

I woke up without a clue about what is going on. Three hours ago I woke up to chaotic mumbling from Nia. It was pitch black, and I could hear distant chatter and loud banging sounds.

"Nia, what's going on?"

She looked at me with crazed wide eyes, "Nothing happened. But it did! And then... It was dark!"