Stacy woke early the next day, the yellow brilliance of the sun leaking into the lace curtains. She leaned over the sill, watching the world outside. Her window looked out into the stark face of a cliff dropping down to partially reveal the path rising from the port to the inn's courtyard.

She took a happy breath of air and readied herself for the day ahead. It was her day off, and suddenly everything seemed full of promise. From her closet she chose a simple sundress in white eyelet cotton and the sturdy leather sandals her dad had given her from a trip to Athens.

Checking her reflection, she gathered her blonde tresses into a neat topknot. The girl who stared back at her was ruddy and alive, with eyes that sparkled and spots of color on her cheeks. She tested a wide smile: it looked at home in that happy face.

In one corner of the room her phone sat charging, lighting up every now and then with incoming messages, but she left it where it lay and stepped out the door. For the first time, life outside  that door held myriad more excitements than the communities, threads and conversations that lived in her device.

She took her breakfast in the kitchens as the staff went about their morning and stopped to greet her cheerily. She sipped strong coffee in a dainty demitasse cup, trying to plan out her free day but unable to concentrate -- the memory of the night before kept intruding. She felt her body warm as she could almost feel, once again, Adi's strong arms around her, his lips on hers as they kissed and more under the great silver eye of the moon. She remembered running her hands through his thick hair and the feel of his broad, muscled back under her palms. She closed her eyes at the thought of his heartbeat against her chest and the soft, lingering touch of his mouth on her cheek when they parted ways.

It was impossible to concentrate. Filled with a restless energy, she got up to walk the excess off. She hummed as she wandered through the terraces, head bowed and lost in her thoughts. It was with a jolt when she realized her feet brought her to the courtyard, and there sat Adi waiting for her in one of the seats.

"Hey," he said, looking relieved at the sight of her.

She looked at him through her lashes. "Hi," she said.

They both glanced at the front desk, where Maria was occupied with checking two lists against each other.

"Wanna go for a walk?" he suggested, and she nodded. They set down the path, and as soon as Maria disappeared from view he twined his warm hand around hers. "The path's steep," he explained, watching her expression carefully. She squeezed his hand reassuringly as they followed the porter's path down to the causeway.

"You look nice," he said, looking her dress up and down.

"Thanks. It's my day off."

They passed under the shade of two olive trees growing under the path; she reached up and brushed her fingertips on the branches.

"Plans today?" he asked.

"Nah. You?"

"I'd like to hang out. With you. If that is all right."

She stopped to watch his handsome face, his cheeks deepening into a burnished red under the golden skin. "Of course," she said, and down they walked again.

They wound down to the end of the path and emerged at the lip of the causeway. The sea shimmered like diamonds under the early morning sun. Gulls wheeled overhead and the crashing of the waves against the rocks lulled them into a sense of calm.

"This really is a gorgeous place," said Adi. "Does your dad own it all?"

She laughed. "Oh no. Just the inn. There's a village on the other side of the island; most of the staff's from there, like Kostas. Would you like to see it?"