Chapter 15: Do Us Part

"Are you ready?" Emma asked impatiently.

"Yes. I can't believe you have roped me into this." James responded, annoyed. "Why can't you just go with Randy?"

"Because, brother dear, once someone RSVPs to a reception, the bride and groom have purchased a meal for that person. It is rude to say two of you are coming, and then only one goes. It is a waste. So, Steve is stuck in Boston, and you are going with me."
Emma had almost convinced herself on that one. She hoped that her plans to get Randy and James to tell each other how they felt would work. It was likely that James would be very pissed when he realized that he'd been set up, but she had to risk it.

Now on to other deceptions. How to get James to admit to having sent Randy the flowers...

"Oh, I had an idea for Mom's birthday, I forgot to tell you!" Emma exclaimed as they got into James' new-to-him truck.

"What's that?" James hung his sport coat on the hook in the back, hopped in and started the truck.

"Well, Randy's dad sent her mom these gorgeous flowers! They were perfect, salmon and peach and pink colors, and in a beautiful vase with pretty ribbons, and I think Mom would love them!"
Emma turned to look at James. She saw the wheels turning in his brain.

"Her, uh, Mom got flowers? From her dad?" James stuttered.

"Yeah, there was a sweet little note in the card about loving everything about her, or something like that. But they were so pretty! Randy said they were rhinoceros flowers or something like that?" Emma kept up with her game hoping James would take the bait.

"Ranunculus." James corrected. "Crap."

"Ah-ha! It was you! I knew it! Why did you not sign the card, you idiot?!" Emma pointed at James and smiled.

"Did her Mom really think they were for her?" James sounded devastated.

"No, they went to Randy. She thinks they are the most beautiful flowers she has ever seen." Emma watched her brother's eyes light up. "God, James. Just tell her you love her. Why is it so hard?"

"Emma..." James sighed.  He looked over at Emma and realized she knew, so he might as well tell the truth. "It's hard because she might not love me back."

"But what if she does?" Emma wanted to tell the both of them everything she knew, but they had to come together on their own. She was just going to nudge them a bit today.

"So, I can't hide it from her that the flowers are from you, you know." Emma warned him.

"I need time, Emma. Today's not the day for this. She's going to have other things on her mind today."
James frowned at the idea of seeing Randy with Josh.

"I'll give you a week. You'll be lucky if I can keep my mouth shut that long." Emma smiled at James. "By the way, I don't know how you did it, but those are beautiful flowers. The colors, the filler, the ribbons. Did the florist figure it out for you?"

"No, I walked around the shop and picked out the individual flowers, the ribbons and the vase. The florist arranged it. She said I had done a good job choosing them." James was pleased that Randy liked them.

"Remind me to hire you when I get married." Emma laughed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Josh and Cindy's friends and families were outside the church talking before the ceremony. Everyone seemed to be in good spirits. James spotted Shannon, and left Emma with a friend and walked over to her.

"James! Hi! I'm helping with setting up the chairs in the basement for the reception, will you help?" She seemed relieved to have some assistance.

"Sure. Show me the way." James liked Shannon. She was a nice person, and always willing to jump in and help.