Chapter Five

Ancient History

Monday August 4th 1995 Daily Log

Prepared by: 1

Independence Day - We Strike Back!

No sleep for the team last night. Construction on farms 1 & 2 this morning. Foundations finished pouring on Farm 1 and drain pipes within two days of completion on Farm 2. Foundation for Farm 2 scheduled for pouring early next week. Hank Sullivan is all smiles this morning and definitely enjoying the largest cash cement deal he will ever have. 4 made it very clear to him that he had no other options except silence. No employees, Hank drives the mixer. Start pouring at sunrise each day. Big guy can be scary when needed … very cold-blooded scene with Hank. (Details in July 2nd log.)

4 is not happy with our performance last night at all and I agree. He says we need to get much better at these sorts of operations. We were noisy, didn’t have all the right tools. It took him almost five minutes to get the lock off the shed without damaging it. And right in the middle of it … I got the hiccups. What Freudian monster buried deep in my psyche had such a burning death wish that it caused me to have hiccups in the middle of it? I had to abandon my role and go back to the vehicle. 3 replaced me.

I want us to develop a list of scenarios for use and then train for them. We should start with scenarios for eliminating individual scumbags. 4 enthusiastically supports this idea and it was unanimously agreed. Dedicated white board next to his desk for us to write down any scenarios we think of. We will review the list after ten days. Non-lethal scenarios only … (for now). Eleven scenarios already on the list by the end of today.

The team also agreed to start keeping files on all local law enforcement. If they drink too much, we want to know. If they cheat on their wives, we want to know. Complete profiles, everything we can get on them. Yaron can help us. He can send some investigators from out of state to do the legwork for us. Know your enemy. Exploit their weakness.

But there was a good side to tonight. The sedatives used on the dogs were perfectly measured. Good job 2 & 3! Within five minutes of eating the meat they were both sound asleep. 2 & 3 have been testing it on other dogs with the same approximate body mass for the last week. 4 is thorough. I would not have thought to bring WD40 for use on the hinges before opening the shed doors.

For someone with a career in law and order, Narco Detective Galt doesn’t have any order to his shed. What a damned mess. 4 pointed out that this was good for us if we could move around the clutter quietly. We did. Until the hiccups. We made our deposit last night: 5 double vacuum sealed bags, each containing one pound of cannabis and $20,000 cash, all in a dirty old blue shoulder bag are now buried under one of the piles of gardening supplies in a corner of the shed.

Galt has been on a tear. Twenty-seven arrests for cannabis in the last 7 months … eighteen of them African Americans. He would have had 28 arrests but he fatally shot one. Poor bastard wasn’t even armed and he was running away. Hit him in the back of the head. Galt is the cop that will shoot a man whenever the opportunity arises, regardless of alternatives. Especially if he is black. As long as he can explain it and stay out of trouble … the asshole will always take his shot. He is getting a body count. He just had his 30th birthday too, so there are many more years of his protection and service ahead of him. The vote was unanimous. (See July 4th log.)

The second deposit last night was much easier. The District Attorney Rand keeps his boat under a carport behind his house. No dogs. Over the back fence and it’s right there. This time, no hiccups. Identical deposit made. Portside seat storage locker. Both deposits complete by 4:30 AM.

Rand received the tip about Galt early this afternoon. He doesn’t know it, but he has one week to act. If he does, we will retrieve the deposit from his boat. If he doesn’t, he will be explaining his own deposit to the DEA. Identical deposits will make them look like partners to the DEA dumbasses. We agreed on July 4th (see log) that playing by their rules is a strategic mistake and not very smart. They don’t even play by their rules. Now we take it to them. They are not kind people. They are not just people. They don’t care about their victims. They care about their careers. They care about winning for their own personal glory, regardless of the damage they cause. They ruin lives. They end lives. They create tragedies. Yes, now we take it to them. Fuck them!

Time to kiss my wife then hit my pillow. My sincerest apologies for the brevity of this report and the language. It has been a long day.