So Poetic

I watched {y/n} from behind the cafe counter. The place was pretty much empty, but she always said she liked the atmosphere because it seemed like the kind of place a lot of people would be in. The tan walls with dark brown accents, and high chairs with matching booths placed around the small room. Wrap-around windows highlighted the gentle suburban city outside. She said it was warm, and almost home-like. Things like that always seemed to make me smile, whether it be something actually touching or something so ridiculously poetic it would've made Francis puke.

"Hey bookworm, get your head outta the clouds!" I teased. Grinning gleefully as she snapped out of her trance and sent an "angry" look my way.

"Whatever tomato-brain" she retorted crossing her arms.

"Ah!" I exclaimed clutching my chest and gripping the counter "that one hurt, hermosa"

She chuckled as I made my way to her booth. I sat down beside {y/n} and pecked her cheek. She weakly tapped my arm with a loose fist and went back to her computer.

"What are you writing about now, the psychological bond you've formed with the pigeons that roost near the window?" I asked looking over her shoulder.

"Says the guy that works at a cafe" she rolled her eyes.

"Dork" I smiled

"Nerd" she said hunching back over her laptop, hiding the poem she had open. I moved around, trying to get a good look at the computer screen, but {y/n} was blocking it more effectively than usual. Must be something pretty important, usually she just half-asses the hiding part then asks for an opinion on how it sounds. I always knew they would turn out lovely, it was something about how the words seemed to stitch themselves together with her magic touch.

"Why won't you let me see" I whined and tackled her.

"Because" she groaned trying to break free from my arms.

"Because isn't an answer" I mimicked her tone, and held onto her tighter.

"Meeh" she managed to release a hand from my grip and shut her laptop.

"I don't like it when you're all secretive"

"And I don't like nosy babies" she sneered back.

"Again, with the sass" I retorted, she giggled and continued to struggle.

"No one's going to want to date such a sassy girl" I said hugging her closer

"You already are, idiot" she said scrunching up the bridge of her nose.

Then, an idea popped into my head. I snuck my hands down to her midsection and began to tickle {y/n}.

"That's foul play Antonio!" She shrieked trying to fight me off.

"Not as foul as you denying me the permission to read your poem!" I pouted. She grimaced and then sighed

"Fine" I smiled and kissed her on the cheek before opening her laptop. The screen flickered onto a word document, and a short couple of sentences appeared in arial font, size twelve.

There are two planes, a smaller and a larger. Both are insignificant and show no purpose or moral. Neither know that their existence is initially obsolete, so they continue flying. There is no reason to stop if no matter what someday it will all end.

"Wow, chica, that was a total downer" I commented after a few short seconds of silence.

"It's a metaphor you idiot"she muttered

"It's about two people, their lives when separated are as obsolete to each other as they are to the world" she paused and looked at me, then continued "But when they meet each other they realize that the other's life is not insignificant as everyone is as meaningful as they are to everyone else" she finished, and seemed a bit thrown off by my empty gaze.