Chapter 8

I stared at Luke for a while, trying my best to hide the fact that my entire body was trembling, and then wondering if it was worth stating how cold the weather was to make an excuse for the shaking. I opened my mouth to do so but was soon interrupted by Luke who gazed at me with sadness more than confusion. 

"You've always loved him, haven't you?"

"No, not since-"

"I always knew you have." His walking slowed down and eventually, he came to a stop. I stood in front of him whilst staring desperately into his eyes, silently begging for our conversation to not end into an argument. I couldn't lose Luke as a friend. But the sad thing was, I knew that he had a right to be upset. I always liked Geo. Ever since I came into this high school I was mesmerised by him. 

Silence hung in the air and crept into my skin like ants walking all over my body. I felt uncomfortable and tense, and could barely bring myself to stare into Luke's hopeless expression as the realisation hit him. Guilt hit my chest and caused my heart to drop when he let out a sigh and rushed his hands through his silky hair. 

"You never cared about me." His voice was soft, and a bit strained, like someone had punched him in the gut and he was still recovering. "You used me to get close to him."

Silence again. But this time, the silence sharply hit me, like a slap in the face. I was Luke's first girlfriend since his breakup of three years which caused him to have serious trust issues. He was very close to Geo at the time, who had no idea who I was. A few days after myself and Luke's relationship became public, Geo started the staring. I didn't date Luke to get Geo to notice me. But as our relationship progressed, I started liking Geo and soon felt my feelings for Luke fading away. I maintained my relationship, however, to see if I'd be able to hang out with him and Geo. After realising that that may never happen I completely forgot about Luke's trust issues and broke up with him, accepting the fact that my feelings for him were gone. He'd always speculate to me that it was because of Geo, but I'd always deny his thoughts and eventually, he believed me. 

"I'm done-"

"Wait." My hand grabbed his. 

Our eyes met, and instantly everything around me stopped. The stares, children screaming or sharp cold wind which felt like ice pressing against my pale skin. It was just me and Luke, nothing else mattered. His cheeks burned a bright red which confirmed the thought of him still having feelings for me. Shit. 

My hands left his like hands leaving a surprisingly hot bowl of soup. The frustration on his face was gradually building until he looked close to bursting into tears. 

"Leave me alone." His voice was shaky and weak. We stayed staring into our eyes for a while until he looked behind me and then walked away, muttering something under his breath. 

A lone tear fell down a brown eye, opening the floodgates which soon followed. The heavy tears soon turned to sobs, and I decided to walk away before more concerned looking adults pulled their children close to them as I still remained crying. 

But soon, the crying stopped to allow a shocked scream when someone hugged my waist and kissed my cheek. 

"It's Geo." A familiar, but low and serious voice tickled my ear. 

Guilt ran through me as Luke's upset face popped into my mind, and I immediately found my hands pushing the boy I love away.

"What happened with Luke?"

Silence. And more tears.

"Scarlett?"

My eyes drifted to the floor as rain began trickling down my face and splashing the concrete ground in chaotic drops. Geo stood beside me and pulled out an umbrella from his backpack. He then hugged me close to him and kissed my head as we stared at the lush green fields in front of us, full of couples walking their dogs or children frantically running around, surprised from the sudden change in weather. 

"I've never had feelings like this for someone y'know." He chuckled, his eyes staring into mine which stayed focused on the field. He then melted my wall when he shared the most captivating smile, and instantly, as I gazed into his pure, joyful eyes, I smiled too. 

"My world is a better place when you smile." His voice was a raspy whisper, and his eyes were staring at my lips, and soon back at my eyes. 

Heat rushed through my body as my pale cheeks turned rosy and the exciting feel of butterflies reached my stomach. His hand hugged around my waist as he slowly pulled me towards him and gently leaned in. His warm hand tucked a strand of hair behind my ear as his soft lips met mine. His breath tasted like mints - he must have been chewing gum earlier. We then pulled apart and I couldn't help but let out a giggle as I gazed at Geo's sexy smirk. But we weren't done yet, my cheek rested in Geo's hand as he leaned in for more, his kiss becoming more passionate as I felt his tongue reach into my mouth. I glanced at Geo breathlessly to see his eyes studying mine with silent intensity. Under the umbrella it sounded like the day we were in the outhouse, sharing our first ever kiss which I had waited for for years. I felt weirdly safe under his umbrella and in his company, as though when I'm with him all my problems are solved. 

"I love you."