Of Notes and Knives

Today was the day of Hope's Peak's annual talent swap. Each year, every class would pair up and the two would swap talents for a day. It was designed to help students broaden their horizons and to give them an insight into how other people's talents worked.

Kaede woke up that morning beyond excited. She knew exactly who she wanted to partner up with, and was determined to get to them first. Not that that would be a problem. Maki was...Cold, to say the least towards most of the class apart from a select few, and Kaede was pretty sure Kaito and Shuuichi were going to pair with each other. She could never see either of them wanting to try out being an assassin for the day. Kaede, on the other hand, was ecstatic to try it out! She also couldn't wait to teach Maki some of her favourite pieces on the piano, though she'd had to narrow her options down to a few of the easier songs she enjoyed. Today was going to be so much fun!

Kaede arrived a little later than she usually would, but she still arrived before the majority of students. The only people currently in the class room were Kirumi, Gonta and their teacher.

"Good morning, Akamatsu-San. You're looking as cheerful as ever." Kirumi greeted with a smile, to which Kaede returned as she took a seat at her desk.

"Good morning to you too, Toujou-San! I'm in a pretty good mood today. I'm excited about the talent swap."

"As am I. Who do you plan on asking?"

"Well, I'm going to ask Maki-Chan! Her talent is so cool! What about you?"

"I see...Well, I hope it works out in your favour. I plan on asking Shirogane-San. Her talent is...Interesting and I wouldn't minding spending a whole day with her." Kaede noticed that Kirumi's cheeks had gone a light shade of pink before the maid turned away and continued to dust the shelves. Kaede turned her attention to Gonta.

"What about you, Gonta-Kun?"

"Well...Gonta not sure! Gonta want to pick good partner who will treat bugs good! Gonta no want to harm them!" Kaede couldn't help but smile at how sweet Gonta was.

"Well...Maybe try someone like Shinguuji-San? Or Amami-San? I'm sure they'll take good care of the bugs!"

"Oh! You are right! Gonta knows they both nice people!"

"I'm glad I could help!"

The room fell into a comfortable silence as more students started to pile in. First came in Tenko, who was seemingly dragging Himiko behind her. Then Rantaro entered followed by Angie who was trying to talk to him about Atua as Tsumugi walked alongside her. Then in ran Kiibo who was being chased by Kokichi, no surprise there. Minutes later Miu entered, seemingly yelling about something Kokichi had done (which, he of course lied about). Shuuichi and Kaito were next, with Korekiyo following close behind. Ryoma was next and last but not least, in walked Maki. Once everyone was seated, the teacher began to tell everyone how the day would go. They would pair up, and spend half the day in one ultimate lab and then the other half in the others.

The pairing up process didn't take long, much to Kaede's surprise. Shuuichi went with Kaito, Himiko with Tenko, Korekiyo with Ryoma, Gonta with Rantaro, Angie with Miu, Kiibo with Kokichi (Much to the robots annoyance), Kirumi with Tsumugi, and finally Kaede with Maki. At first, Maki had protested but it got to a point where it was either Kaede or she got stuck with Kokichi for a whole day. That quickly changed her mind.

"So... Where do you want to start?" Kaede ask as they left the classroom with everyone else.

"I don't mind. It doesn't matter, anyway. You'll never learn my skills in a day."

"And you won't learn mine either. But we have to start somewhere. Besides, it isn't about mastering the skill, it's about learning about your friends! I'm just excited to have fun and spend the day with you, Maki-Chan!"