Right Before The First Day (Exposition)

Glory's POV - First Person

     The end of the year party for the ninth grade was a loss for words. There was toilet paper on the chandelier and Clay had spilled punch all over his shirt. Meanwhile, Riptide and Tsunami were doing such horrendous versions of the whip and nae-nae that I had to look away. I looked around and saw Deathbringer chatting with Peril.

     I quickly made my way over and asked Deathbringer, "Hey Deathy, we dancing or what?"

     He replied, "Sorry, but I'm with Peril now. You're stuck with Clay."

     I had to process this information. Then, I screamed. Everybody stared at me and they melted like wax figurines over a fire. After that, the entire world melted until I was floating above a black expanse of nothingness. I remembered what Deathbringer had said to me and then, I woke up.

     I quickly sat up and looked around. My clock said 3:47. I realized that I was in my room and it was the end of summer. I have no idea how I believed that Deathbringer would ditch me for Peril. I also have no idea how that was the end of the year celebration while almost three months had passed. Well, Deathbringer did ditch me, just not for Peril. He hasn't gotten with anyone else yet. I have to remember this.

     My posters were still there. My drawers and closet were all closed and looked undisturbed. My door was also there and closed. By the guide of moonlight, I could see that the door was locked.  

     I got up and went to my window. I put my arms on the windowsill and looked out. The suburbs were quiet and the street lights were still on.

     As I looked closer, I noticed a small sound coming from the room next to mine. I knew that this was Kinkajou snoring. My parents didn't want me to be alone with Jambu and so they went to one of the local orphanages and adopted Kink. Jambu used to live with us but he was old enough to get a job and had to move to Europe. I hope he's well.

     I continued to look out onto the street of Redvine Lane. Our community was called Palmridge Fonds. With luck, Tsunami lived one house left and one house across from mine. This made communication and other things way easier. I looked at her window and noticed her lights were on. I thought, Heh, probably just watching Twitch streamers.

     I slowly drew the curtains closed and went back to my bed. I sat on it but I didn't lie down just yet. I looked at my drawers once again and saw a picture of me, Jambu, and Kink in front of our parents. Kink was in the center. Jambu and I were to the left and right of her. Our parents stood behind us. We were all smiling and Kinkajou was holding a blue lollipop.

     After reliving these memories. I lied down in my bed, pulled my sheets over myself, and dozed off.

     Tsunami's POV - First Person

     I looked at my clock. It read 3:44. I still haven't fallen asleep yet and school starts in just less than four and a half hours! I should probably get checked for insomnia. I decided to give up on falling asleep and try again in half an hour. I turned on my lights so I could see better.

     I looked around my room. There wasn't really anything interesting in here. To my left stood my clock and to my right stood a photo of my family. My mom, Coral was on the left and my Dad, Gill was on the right. My mom was pregnant with Auklet at the time. I had been 13 and Anemone had been 9. I was in front of my mom and Anemone was in front of my mom.

     We all looked pretty happy but my dad looked sleepy in this photo. He had been working as a factory worker. The sad thing is that he died a few weeks after this photo was taken in a freak machine accident. His boss immediately called us and said something along the lines of, "Okay, your husband fell into one of our vats and it's been malfunctioning ever since. That particular vat costs an inordinate amount of money and we need it paid. That's why I'm..." He didn't even finish what he was saying before he was cut off.