Aria #12 - The Portrait

Kakashi made his way towards her. The hands that just ripped life off a body balled into fists. She took a step backwards by reflex. And another, until her back hit the trunk of a tree.

"I told you to not go into this part of the forest." His eyes blazed so coldly, like a grim reaper that he was. Hanare couldn't utter a single word as she was gripped with shock, and undeniably fear to his enraged profile. He was so near to her that she could feel the heat from his body.

"What are you doing here?" Just a level above whisper, she forced her voice out.

"No. What are you doing here, Hanare?" He reversed the question back to her. His eyes never leave hers.

"I was waiting for Hattori." Hanare said confidently this time, steeling her stare back into his.

"Hattori?" Kakashi's brow arched. He casted a glance to the dead body behind him and, with a sigh, he turned back to her.

"Is he that important to you?"

Hanare nodded.

"Then why did you ventured into this area unprotected? You want Yamato and his effort to saved you go to waste when these guys discovered your hiding place?"

"I didn't—!"

"You're too reckless, Hanare." Kakashi said with aloof voice but the anger threaded alongside it was too apparent to ignore. "You didn't killed him, and that was your mistake. What would you do once they wake up? Can you face them all on your own? You can't expect some miracle to happen every time you were attacked by these men."

"I didn't expect for some miracle." She denied strongly, looking hurt. "Did I ever asked for your help? No. I didn't killed him and call it my mistake all you want because I can't. For hundred years since ninja existed, I might be the only one who can't kill but at least today I'm still alive."

In that instance, Kakashi punched the trunk beside her head so violently that a deep hollow formed underneath it. Hanare flinched as he did. His brows marred so harshly, angrily.

"What are you saying?" He ran his eyes all over her face, trying to read whatever expression she made despite her rebuttal silence; of her stubborn honey-hued eyes staring back at him and the oh-so beautifully tight-held lips.

"Just as I said." She breathed out with steel resolve.

"Do you want to die so badly?"

One heartbeat. Then two. "It's inevitable. It will come eventually."

"Not that. Don't you want to live?"

"I'm trying." She replied a little bit strongly, her emotions started to rush into her. "I tried my best to fit into the society. I have multiple works in one day. I pay the taxes. All of that to conceal my true identity and to live a normal life, but wherever I go they keep on coming."

"Who are they?" His voice softened a bit.

"Just...them. Please, Kakashi," She swallowed and looked up at him, "I won't ask for anything else just please help me save Hattori. He's innocent. He just wanted to help me." Kakashi doesn't look convinced enough then, so she pressed on. "I promise I will surrender myself to them once he is saved."

"What?"

"I've lived long enough." She declared without a moment's hesitation, "I have nothing more to lose."

"But I don't want to lose anymore." His voice surprisingly gently, yet so desolately as if he's pleading her. When he touched her cheek, caressing her tenderly as if he's handling something so precious made her heart wrenched. He was like a lone boy so afraid getting his stuff taken away from him again.