Reminiscence by asheenski

I was so busy packing vegetables for delivery. My mother got lots of orders from her customers. She's now eight months pregnant and being the eldest, I have to assist her in her business.

After finishing that long and tiring task, I finally got my time to rest. It was almost twelve midnight when we returned home. As I passed by the living room, I caught sight of the calendar. Oh, tomorrow is already February 19 and guess what the occasion is? Well, it will be a surprise.

I entered in my room and sat on my bed while holding my cell phone. A minute after, it rang. Time check 12:05 am. Who could this be? Is it an emergency call? I fixed my eyes on the screen to check who's calling but no name was registered. However, the number looks familiar so I decided to answer it. The caller was a man. I asked for his name but he said that I was too young to forget him. I examined his voice and realized that there's only one person in my life who has that voice.

"Hello? Is this Alvin Jeric?" I asked. I just heard him laugh on the other line.

"I thought you were already sleeping," he replied. So it's really him.

"Well, I'm about to go to bed. What made you call? It's already very late."

He gave a deep sigh and finally said,

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHIMZ!"

What was that? Did he just mentioned the words H-A-P-P-Y B-I-R-T-H-D-A-Y and C-H-I-M-Z, the name we used to call each other when we were still "on"? Or am I just too sleepy that I'm hearing different things?

"Hey, are you still there?" he asked.

'Uhmm...ahhh... yes. I'm still here. Wha...what did you just say? I did not hear it clearly" I replied.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHIMZ!" he repeated. It's real! He did say those words.

"Well, ahh... Thanks! I thought you already forgot..." I answered.

"No problem. Besides, why will I forget when the world knows how much you mean to me?"

I was paralyzed for a moment. I didn't know what to say. I was suddenly lost in my mind. Then I heard him say,

"I hope you will enjoy. May your birthday be that memorable. Have a great night then. Te extraño."

Those were his words before the call ended. I still can't believe it! He called. Yes he called and was even the first person to greet me. And TE EXTRAñO? That means he MISSED me!

I lie awake on my bed. It seems that time had stopped when he called earlier. I looked at the wall and stared at the clock. Time check... 12:51am. It's too late for me to go back to sleep yet also too early for me to start a new day.

Oh, I forgot to tell you. What's my surprise then? Well, he had already said it. I went to sleep and wake up early the following day. I prepared everything for school and at exactly 6:3

Am, I left the house. Good! I'm not yet late for my first subject which is English 1.

It's June and I'm in a new boarding house with my new board mates of course. At first, it's very awkward since I am their only new roommate, a complete stranger to them; they kept on observing my actions and attitudes.

I've noticed that their room is in great chaos. Shoes and slippers were scattered, their personal things were not arranged plus the comfort room was very dirty. There was a stinky smell inside the room. I'm not used to be in this kind of environment however, I have no choice now. So I decided to clean the room. The worst thing was they just watched me.

When I finished cleaning the room, I arranged my things and they were amazed at how meticulous I am with my clothes.

It only took days for me to adjust to this new environment. My roommates were already conscious of their things and they took initiative to clean the room. Somehow, they've learned from what I have done. Actions speak louder than words right?