Chapter One; Packing For The Journey

Phoebe looked through her primary drawer, remembering all the amazing times she had had with her friends at her previous school. It felt so strange that she would not be going back to the place she had grown to love. This was not the only thing she did not want to leave behind: all her friends were going to the 'simply marvellous' school with the name of St Clare's, and therefore she would not know anyone at her new one, Malory Towers. She hoped that the girls there would be friendly, because it would be terrible to share a dormitory with children she hated!

"Phoebe? Mum says that she had finished your suitcase but she wants you to help her with the night bag," Tommy, her twin brother told her, "I still don't get why you want to go to Malory Towers instead of Sunfield Academy!"

Phoebe sighed. "If I had my say, Tommy, I would be going to St Clare's with all my friends. Mother wants me to go to Malory Towers because she went there when she was younger, with Auntie Darrell. She says something about a lovely Miss Grayling, who apparently said that Felicity Rivers was a great success!"

"But Daddy doesn't pressure me to go to the school he went to!"

"Mother and Daddy aren't married, though, so he probably doesn't want to interfere yet with our lives. Anyway, I must go and do as Mother says. Excuse me!" Phoebe found her mother and asked her what needed to be done.

"You need to get your night clothes and your slippers from your bedroom first. Your suitcase does not get unpacked until the next morning, because on the first day you all get settled in and there is no time!" Phoebe nodded and went to her room. She took her slippers and her night clothes along with a book and a torch in case she needed them. Once Phoebe passed the items to her, Felicity told her daughter the other items she needed. After half an hour, everything was set and ready for the next day, when they would take the exciting journey to the new school!

"Mummy, I'm really nervous about going to your school. I don't know anyone! I wish I had gone to St Clare's! At least I would have been with Sera!"

"Oh, I don't know about St Clare's. I know it is a very good school, but so is Malory Towers! And besides, Seraphina is a little show - off. I wouldn't be very happy if you were to spend six years with her! The one year was bad enough!"

"But I love Sera! She's my very, very best friend. Why can't you see that? I hate Malory Towers. It doesn't sound anything like Sunfield Junior. Why did Tommy get to go to to Sunfield Academy?"

"Darling, you'll make new friends! And you'll love the school when you get there, trust me. Sunfield Junior was very... sophisticated - what many would call stuck - up! Sunfield Academy is much better, and it was the best place for a young boy to go. But every young girl should get to go to Malory Towers, that's how much my sister and I loved it! And talking about my sister, she is putting Blythe's first choice as Malory Towers, so next year you might see a nice friendly face!"

"I suppose that's something... but, Mum, can I please go to bed now? I've done everything you've asked for!"

"I reckon your work here is done. Alright, you can get some rest for your big day tomorrow. Your aunt is coming too, as she desires to see how Malory Towers has changed since she left!"

"Right, well, thanks, I look forward to seeing her!" Phoebe replied, hardly caring who came with her on her journey. After all, she was only travelling to her new school - surely she could manage by herself? 

The next morning, Phoebe woke up, excited for the trip. Even her brother was eager to get in the car and see the school, though he tried to hide it. 

"Auntie Darrell!" the young girl exclaimed when she saw her mother's sister, and Darrell grinned at her niece.

"Why, hallo, Phoebes! You have grown, haven't you! Golly, I thought that you would be coming with me, Fliss, when my daughter went to Malory Towers for the first time, not the other way round, but it seems you have beaten me to it, once again!"

"Is Blythe here?" Phoebe asked, looking around the room to spot her cousin.

"No, no, I have left her behind, for she doesn't like long journeys too much. Are you all ready? Night bag? Suitcase? Shall we make a move?"

"Yes, lets!" the school girl cried, grasping the small night bag in her hands. "Mummy, can you carry my suitcase?"

After having trouble with fitting the bags in the car, the family began their tiring journey to Malory Towers.

"Are you excited for your first day?" Darrell asked.

"Well..." Phoebe hesitated, not wanting to upset her aunt. "I'm excited and nervous, I guess..."

"You needn't be! I went to Malory Towers not knowing anyone either, so I know how you feel exactly!"

"Did you really? I thought that you had friends going with you? What about Sally?"

"Ah, no, Sally and I became friends after I came to Malory Towers! I didn't like her to start with, to be honest... Felicity, do you remember Gwendoline Lacey? Yes, of course you do - she taught you in your last year! Well she has a girl called Stella, who will be in your year, Phoebe. I do hope you'll make friends with her! She seemed such a nice girl from what her mother told me."

"But I thought you said Gwendoline was very silly and stuck - up?"

"Well, she was, but she changed her ways, did I not talk about that? Oh, look! Felicity, we're here! Malory Towers hasn't changed one bit from the outside! I wonder which tower you'll be in, Phoebe! I do hope it is North Towers - that's the best one! Both Fliss and I were sorted into it."

"Look, Darrell, it's Miss Grayling!" Felicity exclaimed, and Darrell turned to look.

"So it is! Miss Grayling?" Darrell called, and the head mistress smiled at the former pupils.

"Why, hello, Felicity! Darrell too, I see! Is life treating you well? Ah, Phoebe! I hope you will make friends here!" 

While Darrell and Felicity talked to their old teacher, Phoebe wandered off to see if she could make some new friends. 

"Er... excuse me?" a girl who looked younger than her asked.

"Yes, what is it?" Phoebe asked, seeing that the girl was dressed in the school's uniform. Perhaps she could make friends with this girl? She seemed to be in the first form along with her!

"I was wondering if... you could show me where the toilets are? It's just that I'm new here... and you know the way round much better than I do..."

"What makes you think that?"

"Well aren't you? You're in the second form?"

"No!" Phoebe exclaimed, half laughing, "I have no idea where anything is! I'm new too, in the first form! What's your name?"

"I'm Juliette!"

"Well, I'm Phoebe. Are your parents around anywhere?"

"No, we live quite nearby, so I was allowed to walk alone, with my brother. He's gone now, because he has to go to his school."

"Oh!" Phoebe said, thinking that Juliette might think her rather feeble to have come with her mother... "I also came alone..." 

Juliette didn't look convinced, and she saw Darrell and Felicity walking towards them. "Who are they, Phoebe? They look like they know you!"

"Yes, we do!" Darrell grinned, looking at Juliette. "Have you made friends then? Brilliant! I've come to whisk my niece away, if that's alright!"

"Niece?"

"Yes, that's right! I'm Phoebe's auntie, and this is my sister, Phoebe's mummy!"

"Oh! Hallo! Fancy you coming to join us, Mum and Aunt! I guess you must have followed me here!"

"What do you mean?"

"Well I didn't come in the car with you, did I?"

"Is this some kind of joke, Phoebe?" Felicity asked, looking suspiciously at her daughter, "Because you were in the same vehicle as us!"

Juliette watched on, feeling a little betrayed. Why had Phoebe lied to her?

"Oh, yes! I suppose that's right. I must have been thinking of another time! See you later, Juliette!"

Oh dear, thought Phoebe as she walked along, I'm making a bad impression already!