26 • Hello And Goodbye

REBECCA'S POV

"Aloha, this is your captain speaking. We'll be landing in Honolulu in approximately 15 minutes. Please make sure that your seatbelt is fastened at this time. We appreciate you flying with United Airways."

I checked to make sure that Luke's seatbelt was locked into place before putting mine on. I hated taking him out of school for this, but he had already missed so much, what was one more week? Besides, who knew when Luke would get a chance to see Ian again.

I was anxious to get this trip over with. It was the end of an era for me. After 22 years of marriage, I would be leaving Hawaii as a divorcée. I couldn't help but feel a little sad about that. Ian and I had a lot of history together, good and bad, but I knew it was for the best and I didn't regret it.

I closed my eyes as we began our descent, my mind instantly drifting to Embry. Nothing new there, I always thought about Embry. I knew he wasn't happy about Luke and me going on this trip, but he also understood that it had to be done.

After Nate's birthday party a couple of weeks ago, Embry had built up a wall around himself that was the size of an invisible fortress. With Luke, he was kind and gentle as always. Luke remained indifferent in front of Embry, but whenever he wasn't around Luke was always quoting him, saying "Embry said this" or "Embry said that."

With me though, Embry wouldn't allow me to get close. I understood his caution. I had treated him horribly in the past. It didn't stop me from crying my eyes out at night. I wanted Embry, not just physically, but emotionally and mentally as well. I loved him with all my heart. Was it wrong for me to hope and wish that after everything I had done to him, he could love me back?

A part of me craved for the easy existence of our youth. We'd been so comfortable around each other back then. That was until Embry hit puberty and became mute around me, blushing every time I tried talking to him. Still, I would rather have "awkward" Embry than the cold, indifferent Embry I faced today. But I deserved it.

Our relationship now wasn't about me anyway. It was about Luke. I wanted Luke and Embry to get to know each other and build a bond. That was all that was important. At least that's what I told myself.

The plane touched down and we exited it. The fragrant, familiar air surrounded me, and yet, I yearned for the fresh ocean and pine scents of La Push. I wanted to be back there. In the years I had been away from the state of Washington, I had always felt this inexplicable pull inside me, calling to me to return home. Now it was so much worse. I wanted to get right back on the plane and order the pilots to drop me off at Embry's apartment. My heart lurched just at the idea of seeing him again. Sighing, I grabbed Luke's hand as we made our way to the luggage claim area.

"Becca!"

I turned and saw Ian making his way towards us with a huge smile on his face. My own face lit up in an answering smile.

"Dad!" Luke shouted, running over to Ian to climb into his lap.

Ian stopped pushing the wheelchair that was now his permanent mode of transportation and wrapped his arms around Luke. My eyes momentarily stung with tears as I thought of how unfair life had been to Ian. First my betrayal, then the car accident that left him paralyzed from the waist down. Ian's spirit never broke though, which was another reason why I would always love him. I might not be in love with him anymore, but he would always be one of my closest friends. I was lucky that he still accepted me so graciously in his life.

"I can't believe how big you've gotten," Ian remarked, running a hand over Luke's dark hair before looking at me.

"You look like hell Becca," he stated, blunt as always.