Chapter 1

Janetha's POV

I duck behind cover as the cannon smokes the stone and melts it to a burning, blistering red. I crouched there, listening to the gunfire and the growling and roaring as the Hunter attacked the other Spartans. I knew they would escape too. I peeked out, and aimed my Magnum at the wormy creature's flesh. I pulled the trigger and the Hunter fell over limp, bloody, and dead. I heard my heart thumping in my chest. I heard another Hunter behind me, I jumped out of the way as the Fuelrod Cannon exploded.

I ran and jumped into a tree. My Spartan armor hid me in the leaves. I dared not make a sound. I held the tree with one hand, and the Magnum in the other. I pointed it at the Hunter. I think it felt my presence because it whirled around and charged it's cannon. I leaped out of the tree and landed on it. It rammed into a rock wall and I lost my grip on it's armor. I landed on the ground, and quickly got to my feet. The Hunter charged at me and swatted me to the side like a toy. I flipped in midair and threw a grenade. It bounced off the Hunter harmlessly.

The Hunter charged at me again, and I was trapped. My armor was damaged, and I was practically about to die just then. Then another Spartan jumped out and punched the Hunter's armored face. He grabbed it's attention, so I took the chance to attack. I jumped on the Hunter's back and shove a grenade into it's fleshy, wormy body. I kicked off and the Hunter exploded into a million wormy bits. I noticed that the Spartan that saved me was gone. I did see it's Spartan ID though. It was Spartan 117.

I took no notice if it, though I did want to find him again. But now we were in the heat of war, so I shook my feelings away and stabbed an Elite in the skull. I ripped my knife out and blue blood splattered my armor. That feeling keeps coming back. I am going to die if I cannot control it! I finally shrug it off and get a headshot to a Jackle. I rip it's shield off it's dead arm and use it for my own purpose. I shoot a Grunt, or two, till they either rum screaming or fall dead.

I finish off the last of the Covenant in this area. I was panting, but what the hell! War with aliens will kick your ass. I rip my knife, which was embedded in the flesh of a Grunt's head, out of it's body, and walk towards the pelican. Fight won. I smiled, though my visor hid it. I saw that Spartan run off into the distance. I run after him. I almost catch up, bit then my AI orders me to go back to the pelican. Sulkily I walk back to the pelican, and leave the battle scarred area behind. And that Spartan who saved me. I owe him. J117. That seems familiar....