Happy- Daultin

(A/N) Originally posted on the DCA subreddit (by me.) I had nothing else, so have this!

(I was just listening to Happy, by Mother Mother, and I thought this up- so why not?)

Blood spattered the floor of Strahd's study. The fight was won. Silence slowly began to settle over the room as Paultin ran over to Diath's side, he was bleeding from a gash in his side beside a large, wide open window, looking down upon lower rooftops within the castle's complex. He pulled out his mandolin to begin playing a healing song for his friend, willing it to play above his head. He rested a blood-covered hand onto the rogue's torn face. Tears ran under his palm.

"Hey," He murmured. "It's okay. We won, everything's gonna be fine, right?" He flashed a smile at the man, who now looked at him shakily.

"Won... we, won?" Paultin nodded, and slowly, Diath did the same. Some of the wounds on the man had began to heal and close, leaving nothing but a memory of the scars.

The mandolin played on, as Paultin helped the rogue up to his feet. He let his arm wrap around Diath, and swung to the strumming of the instrument. The rogue followed suit, wrapping his arm around the bard's neck and burying his head into the man's shoulder. They danced for a while. All of their problems, the wedding, Strahd- it was all behind them now.

The two's feet tangled, rocking back and forth on the cobbled floor, stepping over Evelyn's broken, golden arm. They were alive, they were happy, a moment in time with purpose and joy.

Diath's heel fell against blood-soaked ebony hair, his hand holding tighter to the back of Paultin's shirt. His eyes stung.

The bard fell still by the windowsill once more. He smiled, pulling Diath's hands down to his waist. The rogue looked up at Paultin. He didn't know what happy meant anymore. "Everything's fine now." Paultin told him, standing ever closer. The mandolin fell silent. "We won, now everything's going to be fine. We can be happy now. You can be happy." The rogue smiled. He let his hand rest on the bard's cheek. "I know we will." He pulled them into a hug, so tight it hurt his chest. Paultin let his hand run through the other's chestnut hair.

As Diath pulled them over the window's ledge.

We will be happy.