The Story

“It all began when someone left the window open.” Well, that’s what my friend Josh told me. He went to Maria’s house before me. Everyone wondered where she disappeared to, when she went missing. Josh, Maria and I were all best friends, until something horrible and shocking happened. Something, I could have never guessed.

   I was getting ready for school. It was a very chilly and windy morning. The night was even worse, because snow had fallen down like hail. My butler Joseph gave me my lunch and I left. Maria was waiting for me outside. “Hi Amy, Josh is waiting for us at his place”. She said. “Okay let’s go then.” I said.

   We met up with Josh and then we were on our way to school. While we were walking Josh and Maria were talking about their plans for the weekend. “I’m going to just sit at home and play video games.” said josh. “Oh that’s nice, well Amy and I are going roller skating.” Said Maria. That’s when my heart started pounding; I had forgotten to invite Josh! “You guys are going roller skating?” he asked. Maria, finally realizing the expression on my face looked worried. “Yeah, we are.” She finally said, starting to walk faster. Josh was silent. Then he said “Why didn’t you guys invite me? You know I’m always free on the weekends.” I couldn’t stand it anymore, so I broke in and said “Look it was my fault I forgot to ask you to come with us, I’m sorry. Would you like to join us?”

   “No I don’t want to go. You guys always leave me out and I’m just tired of it.” He snapped, I could tell by his said sky blue eyes, that he was hurt. Maria looked like she really didn’t care. “Well sorry Josh, anyways I’m going to skip today okay? Amy, make sure to take good notes for me.” She said. Me and Josh turned around and looked at each other confused, then looked back at Maria. “Your skipping school again?” I asked. She nodded and looked happy, as if skipping was a good thing. “Bye you guys!” she said then scurried off. Josh rolled his eyes. “I have had it with her!” he exclaimed. I was silently. Josh still continued, “One of these days she’s going to get it.” I didn’t want to hear his nonsense anymore. “Josh I’ll see you later, sorry,” and I dashed off. He stood there with a blank expression.

  It was already 10:30 am, and I haven’t seen Josh anywhere. I hoped he wasn’t too mad. The whole entire period I wondered where he went off to. The day went by fast and I didn’t see him anywhere. I got my stuff from my locker and rode my bike. I decided to drop off Maria’s notes at her house. I knocked on the door and waited. There was a silence.

   No one opened the door. I could hear the musical chirps from birds far away. I knocked once again. This time Maria opened it. “Hey Maria, I brought your notes, there wasn’t that much homework jus-“then she cut me off. “Thanks Amy you’re a really great friend, bye.”  Then she just closed the door on me.

   I was worried about her, but then I thought she was just in one of her moods. I got home and Joseph gave me dinner. Afterwards I went up my room and decided to call Josh. The phone was ringing but he didn’t pick up. “That’s odd.” I said to myself. He probably just got sick. I’ll just talk to them tomorrow.

   The next day I woke up to find Joseph bringing me breakfast. He looked really worried so I asked him “What’s wrong Joe?” He was silent for a moment. “I think you should go to Miss Maria’s house after you finish breakfast.” He told me. Now I was very nervous. I drank my milk and ate a piece of toast. Then I got up and hurried downstairs. “I’ll be back Joe don’t worry!”

   As I raced to Maria’s house, I noticed people staring at me with worried and depressing looks. I knew something bad had happened. When I got to Maria’s house I saw that police cars were everywhere. I then noticed the door wide open. I was so scared I started thinking of bad thoughts.

  When I got inside I saw detectives talking with Maria’s parents and butler. Josh was also surprisingly there. Maria’s mom looked at me, the expression on her face was horrified and at the same time excepting. “Amy, Amy!” she cried I walked toward them very carefully.” What’s wrong Mrs. Rivera? “I asked. She looked at me in the eyes deeply and said “Maria’s gone missing!”