A Phone Call

she opens the door and see him standing with a bucket of ice cream in his hand and a cheeky smile on his face. she wants to say hi, but instead, she puts a finger on her lips whilst talking on the phone.

"next week? for real? finally," she answers her boyfriend who just told her that he's finally going home. she knew her face must be beaming with joy right now, because that is the exact reason she avoids the stare of the man standing in front of her right now.

she knows what it means for both of them, and the secrets they've been sharing for the past months.

she ends the conversation, promising that she would wait for her boyfriend, give him a long hug, and not letting him out of the house for two weeks. and then she looks at the guy who is now sitting on the kitchen, quietly eating ice cream he brought.

she wants to apologise, but she doesn't know what for. is it for making him the second choice? for leading him into thinking that they both have a chance? or is it because she's too selfish for wanting him when she's not supposed to?

he glances at her, and she couldn't help but stroking his cheek.

"so, how much time do we have left?" she wishes he doesn't have to say that.

"until next week,"

"oh. sooner than I thought," she hates the calmness in his voice. she despises how it makes her more guilty than she already is.

on top of it all, she's afraid.

she's afraid of how much truth in his words. they both have had their moments, but why does she dread the time it's coming to an end?

"don't say that," she breaks the silence. he smiles, almost looks like he's amused. "but someone has to say that," he strokes her hair.

"I hope he takes care of you well."

and just like that, she jumps into his arms before he can see the tears rolling from her cheeks or hear the words you couldn't say.

he does, she answers silently as he lets her sink in his embrace. he knows what I like, what makes me sleep at night, what my favorite films are.

he knows me like a back of his head, without much words or validation.

he is all that I need. yet I still want you all the same.