The First Death

A young tiefling rises on unsteady legs from the ground of the paladin camp as she regains control of movement. The breaths catch in lungs that are able to expand fully once again, dark spots dancing in blurred vision as she stumbles past her traveling companions toward her fallen friend.

Once the undead king had called forth a cloud of swirling gases the tiefling woman had fallen with a hand to her throat as she choked on a swelling tongue. With her body sprawled helplessly against the ground she'd been unable to act, cursed to watch as the undead king with glowing green eyes turned his full attention to her scaled best friend since childhood.

They had come to the jungle to adventure together. The tiefling had been taken by surprise when her best friend approached her in the forests of their home continent. She'd recognized Zii-ven by the silvery blue scales which revealed her dragon heritage and the warmth of her friend's eyes. When Zii approached the tiefling she hadn't known what to expect- many rumors had spread since they'd seen each other last, and despite hoping otherwise the woman expected her childhood friend to turn her away. But to her surprise Zii had welcomed her warmly, inviting the woman on a trip to a new continent ripe with jungles, culture, and the threat of danger.

In the paladin camp the tiefling collapses to her knees before Zii-ven. She reaches a hand forward to her best friend in disbelief, pausing above the shined metal armor characteristic of her mission for the dragon god. Zii-ven had separated from the group weeks ago in search of a cure for their human male friend plagued by dark energy of the mind. The tiefling had watched from the tavern's open doorway that night as her closest friend walked out of her life once again.

Just moments ago the tiefling and her traveling companions had entered the bustling camp in search of the dragonborn paladin; as her red irises had settled upon suffering and sickness the tiefling had quickly volunteered her healing skills in the medicine tent. The group had traveled the jungle river by canoe after hearing paladin camps were under raid. From within the medicine camp the sounds of battle had carried to the tiefling's ears; she watched in horror as a stranger crawled into the tent with hands outstretched in a plea for help, the skin melting from his face and sliding from bone. It was only when she poked her head from the medicine tent that the tiefling had seen her friend once again, already in the midst of battle with the undead king.

The woman had watched through red locks of hair tangled over her face as her friend bravely drew her sword and struck their powerful enemy. All life had since been snuffed from the camp by his hand; only Zii and their human friend had remained standing against this foe. Even in her delirious state of near-death the tiefling had felt time still as the creature's lipless mouth uttered the command to her closest friend- "Die."

Kneeling over her friend, the woman feels a rush of cold within her veins at the sight of mere bones within the dragonborn's armor. The others slowly rise to their feet as consciousness is regained, approaching the tiefling with gentle words. Only a roaring is heard within her red-tinted ears; she stares at Zii's remains with unfocused eyes until their shapeshifter companion suggests the human male digs a grave.

The tiefling shifts to the shapeshifter, addressing Hugh with a cold tone. "We're not leaving her here. She's coming with us. I need to take her bones to her family."

"Carys, the paladins she worked beside have fallen here. Zii should rest with them. Also, we have a token of her god here. I can think of no more honorable way to remember our friend." Once the silver-scaled paladin had fallen all had observed the claw of her dragon god welcoming her soul; all had witnessed the undead king sending forth a blast which cut a finger from the god before dragging Zii's soul into his swirling pit.

Carys straightens her back and stands up at Hugh's words, guilt weighing on her conscience as Zii's new friend had considered a better option for respecting the dragonborn's wishes in death. The tiefling had carefully kept her emotions reined, but since the shapeshifter's appearance she'd often felt second to receive her friend's attention. Carys casts a cool glance at Hugh. "You're right. You know what's best for Zii; you've always been a better friend to her."

Not waiting for his response she walks away as quickly as shaky legs can carry her, stopping before a large puddle on the campground. Carys crouches before the water and calls forth memories of her adopted elven mother. "As long as you're smiling the pain can't hurt you," the elf with flowing blonde hair had told young Carys once she arrived at the orphanage. The girl with red-horns atop a head of auburn curls had welcomed the elf's advice and listened with eager ears as her adopted mother shared her story. Though the elf's parents had sold her to a monster underground a smile had lit her face. In the midst of torture and certain death, she had smiled. As blood trailed down the elf's fine chin when the tongue was ripped from her mouth the high elf had beamed upon her captor, unwilling to allow defeat to dampen her spirit.

So Carys smiled. She pushed dark memories of her birth mother's slaughter and father's abandonment from mind as she worked every day to bring a smile to those suffering. When she'd been wrongly jailed for an assault she hadn't committed Carys welcomed joy into her jailed heart. And in the midst of the paladin's camp strewn with death the tiefling stares upon her reflection in the puddle, forcing the corners of her lips up as tears trail down red-tinted cheeks before plinking into the water below. Smile.

While her friends prepare a grave for Zii-ven the tiefling hears the woman with feline eyes approach; her gaze does not stray from the puddle as the necklace of her fallen best friend is draped over her head, the symbol Zii once held dear now resting against her heart. Carys watches as flames swirl within her red irises. The smile trembles upon her face and she clasps Zii's necklace with one hand. We will save your soul by whatever means necessary, she swears silently to her dragonborn friend. We will reunite you with your god. And our enemy will soon learn the wrath of mine. The flames within Carys's eyes brighten and appear to flicker at each unspoken promise.

When Hugh and their friend Illyn approach the puddle Carys stands, falling into step beside the female hunter known as Sorcha. The tiefling locks the flames behind her eyes, blinking to reveal steady rose-colored irises as the group pauses before Zii-ven. While the shapeshifter shares moving words for their fallen friend Carys stares upon the bones with a spark in her blood. You have renewed our purpose, Zii. I will not stand by and allow others to suffer as you have.

You always looked after me; it is now time to unleash my strength. You don't need to worry about me anymore.

Soon all will be acquainted with the fire behind these eyes.

As the paladin's body is lowered into the grave all respectfully toss forth a clump of dirt or a token of remembrance. The waves of despair which previously lapped at the tiefling's heart are stilled; she feels a kindling within her veins and welcomes the crackle as a light sensation of flames dances under her skin.

And once more, Carys curls her lips up in a smile.