The Road Behind Her

‘I never understood how my life got so screwed up.. it started back when I was six years old, my father had remarried four years after the death of my mother. My stepmom loved my two younger half brothers, Wyatt and Warren but hated me. She always called me by my full name; Jolene.. My mother was a Dolly Parton fan.. and that was the song she loved. My father had sometimes wished I was a boy, so I got the nickname Joey, which I preferred. My father was my only friend.. That is, until I turned seventeen. My name is Joey Quinn, I am a Storm Tracker, and this is my story. It started out as any normal day would; I was the odd girl no one talked to.. but, over time, I had gotten used to being a lone wolf.’

“Watch where you’re going, Quinn.” A girl said

“She has had a hard life, Meghan. It almost makes you sad.. Almost.”

‘Meghan Tyler and Tiffany Devon. The most popular girls in school. They never really liked me. I didn’t care. That isn’t who I am. I knew from the moment I was born that I wasn’t like other girls. I was destined for something special..’

“Is that the prodical hero who brings The Kingdom of the Edenites to its knees, Prince Chris?” A guard asked

“Yes. She must be destroyed before she realizes who she is,” Chris said, his long dark blue green cape flowing in the breeze

“This girl is a future Storm Tracker. They will fall, and the Edenites will rule.” Chris finished, looking deeply into the crystal ball

“The prophecy is true. I must inform the other Trackers.” A boy with sandy cropped shaggy hair said

*MEANWHILE BACK ON EARTH*

“Quinn, get the lead out. I wanna see you sweating bullets. You got me?” A woman called after me

‘I nod, pushing myself to go about 30 percent faster. I slide on Connie Rowan’s sweat, sliding face down to the gym floor.. I wasn’t badly hurt. It was then an alarm had sounded, my classmates and I dove to the ground, lying flat on our stomachs shielding our faces. A shadowy figure emerges from the dust. He was dressed like Schwarzenegger from the Terminator franchise. He approaches the group, I lift my head to face him..’

“I’m looking for a girl who goes by the name of Joey Quinn.” He said, his voice as smooth as leather

“Quinn. Front and center.” The coach boomed throughout the gymnasium

‘I rose to my feet, I dust myself off, flinging my hair behind me. I approach him, cautiously, I wasn’t sure I could trust him. I knew that this was just the beginning..’

~End of Chapter One