Astronomer

Sometimes I find myself laying on my back; arm stretched out reaching out for an unattainable item, entity, or possibly even the moon. There would be times that I'd pretend that I held the moon in my hand, but I know that could never do such a thing.

To me you were like the moon; mysterious, bright,and otherworldly. To others they may beg a differ for they compare you to the stars and Sun that shine. You are one of a kind. There are thousands of suns in this universe but there is only one moon for me(Earth).

The days I got to see you at school would be considered my luckiest. I would admire from afar, imagining all the possible scenarios we would be in—wishful thinking. Even though you were there right in front of me it felt like you were thousands of miles away. Forever the moon I could not touch.

Or so I thought. I should've been the brave astronaut that took the opportunity to venture into space to reach you. There were times that I noticed that you moved closer so that the journey wouldn't be as treacherous. Instead of going for the challenge as a brave astronaut I became an astronomer that forever longed for a godly moon.

If I had the chance now I would venture out to reach you rather than put you on a high pedestal. A pedestal that made the distance between us much bigger than it was in reality.

~Sincerely the lonely astronomer