Chapter 38

Hagushi Beaches, Okinawa

April 1st, 1945

At 1757 the 1st and 2nd Battalions of the 1st Marines were ordered ashore. Throughout the day, the 7th Marines had captured the village of Sobe, one of the first priority objectives, and the 5th Marines were advancing steadily. The enemy resistance put up was little to nothing at all. Taking the objectives had been a walk in the park.

We couldn't believe the news, found it impossible to imagine that the Japs would just let us walk onto this island. Most of us veterans were wary and confused of our surprising fortune, the replacements more upbeat. No one thought the Japs would let us take the island unscathed but it was good to know that the 85% casualty rate had been less than 1% in reality. I could only think, despairingly, that the enemy had likely dug in towards the center of the island. If their defenses were at all like those on Iwo Jima, I felt we would have an enormously difficult, and very bloody, battle ahead of us.

We loaded into Higgins boats as the sun began lowering into the sky. We hurried, knowing that we'd be expected to catch up to our front line troops and dig in before night completely took over. The Higgins boats moved us to a rendezvous point closer to the beach where we switched over to amtracs which would take us right onto the shore.

As we transferred from the Higgins boats, five gull-winged Corsairs flew over our heads heading inland. They were close enough to see the marks on the tails and fuselages.

"Yeah! There goes our boys!" Private Thomas cheered, his happiness puttering out when no one else joined in. Most of us could still not believe we were riding in unscathed, many of us veterans' minds still replaying the awful landing at Peleliu.

We were in one of the newer models of LVTs now, one of the ones that could drop a back ramp, much easier than jumping over the sides. Lieutenant Gibson was near the back, closest to the ramp. He just stared silently at the looming mass of Okinawa ahead, barely looking at the faces of the men he was supposed to lead. Sergeant Nelson was a bit more animated, explaining tiredly to the new guys what to do once we got on the beach. I wondered how many times he'd have to say that again, how many times I'd have to listen to it.

I looked over the side of the LVT, couldn't fathom the idea of no enemy fire coming at us. There were no splashes of artillery, no bullets, no... nothing. That's what felt so wrong about this landing. Captain Brand had said 85% casualties taking the beach. So where the hell had the Japs gone?

The driver of the LVT looked back from the little opening in his compartment, shouted over the engine, "Thirty seconds!" I kept a sturdy grip on my rifle. The thirty seconds passed quicker than I thought they would, soon the thump of the amtrac's treads bumping against the sandy beach, the quick scrape as the ramp dropped. Gibson lifted his arm, his hand raising above the helmets. "Let's go! Move!"

There was loud splashing as each individual Marine jumped down into the frothy water, a few quick grunts here and there about the temperature of the water. I was up closer to the front of the amtrac, one of the last to jump out. The water was cold, and it came up to my thighs, but I gritted my teeth, and moved out to the side of the amphibious tractor. There was a lot of cursing and shouting, officers trying to shout orders over the commotion.

Lieutenant Gibson was up at the front of our column, had his hand up. "1st Platoon, move up! Get onto the beach!"

The LVT coughed behind us, started pulling back out towards the armada behind us. We double timed it towards the shore, the water slowing our progress. I looked to the side, saw we weren't alone, a whole onslaught of olive green and jungle camo surging forward as one, a faceless wave of helmets, gear, and weapons. I watched four guys lugging parts to the 81mm mortar, knew from a mortarman I'd met during boot camp that each piece, there were three, the tube, mount, and base plate, each weighed around forty five pounds. I felt bad for them, thought that the rifle, which was barely six pounds, was heavy enough with all my other gear.