Protector

Please Read/Comment/Vote/FAN!! Thanks!!! This is the whole book and i wrote it a while ago. Wondering what your thoughts are? This is book one of two. Thanks!!:)

Protector

"step away from the net for a while, Mia!" my best friend Kellie sat in my beach chair and watched me pound a volleyball strait down over the net. I landed lightly on my feet, and gave her my famous left

eyebrow raised 'excuse me?' look that I used whenever I knew she wasn't telling me everything, the 'oh, come on!', getting on my nerves, or just 'shut up now!'. This was one of the 'oh, come on!' Looks.

"We just got out here!" I protested. She threw me a chocolate chip cookie and I caught it when it hit me in the stomach.

"Oh, a little sugar won't kill you!" she knew that I hadn't eaten sugar (aka, sweets, deserts...) for four years. I tossed it back to her. She rolled her eyes. "Whatever. How was your dad this morning?"

"Grouch. Why?"I asked, getting a fruit punch out of the cooler. My parents had adopted me when I was two. Then my mom - step mom - died later.

"The Powers have moved in. They're doctors. Really good ones to. And I heard that Mr. Powers and your dad went to school together, and that they hated each other." I took the sunglasses she was offering me, and propped them up on the top of my head.

"Well more competition for my dad won't bode well for me. He'll get grumpy, and my allowance will probably go from 100 to 50 in a month." I lay down on my towel.

"wow." she scowled. "That'll just kill you, won't it?"

"Oh just shut up and enjoy the beach. We've only got another hour, then its back home."

"Ahh! I don't want to go to Florida!" she complained.

"Why not? You family can't be that bad!" I said.

"Well, they're not, but I'd rather be here or even home in boring New York." Kellie took a bite of her third cookie,

"do you know how many people would like to live in New York?" I said.

"Well, considering were not in the city, no." and she was right. We were in a medium sized town called Prize City. We had our own grocery store, malls, book stores, and two high schools, two middle schools, but only one elementary. That's where you'd get your lives reputation. Everyone would either know you, like you, love you, or they'd hate you, outlaw and outcast you. Unfortunately for me, I fell into neither of those. I was in a guys love you, your sporty, a great friend, and you're rich and popular. What every girl wants, right? Wrong. It's not all it's cracked up to be. Being rich and popular makes you some enemies. But let's not get into them.

A group of guys walked by and wolf whistled. They called out, yelling things. I pulled down my sunglasses and ignored them.

"Ya know, I'd wave, but I know they were talking to you." I stuck my tong out at her, and an hour later, we were off. I got in my car, and deposited her off at the airport where she met her parents.

"Have fun!" I hugged her.

"I'll call you." she said, smiling angrily. We said our goodbyes and I drove home. I got home at about 11:30 that night. My dad was on the phone, his face showing all the anger her was suppressing from his employee on the phone.

"Well I don't care! It needs to be done. That's no excuse...yes...no, I know about it. Well we'll just have to put him out if business." I waved at him, giving him something to smile about, and went upstairs. I hopped into the shower for five minutes, and then got dressed for bed.